For the last 48 hours, Mrs. BudgetsAreSexy has been dealing with a crazy itchy right palm. At first she thought it was just a bug bite or something and would go away after a couple of minutes, but here we are hours and hours later and it’s still driving her nuts.
So she decided to do what all of us do when trying to solve a problem: Self-diagnose on Google ;) And boy were we surprised at our findings! Who knew it had anything to do with money?? D’uh…
A Surprising Money Superstition
Check it out (from Palmistry and Hand Analysis):
There’s an old superstition that when your palms itch it means money. An itching left palm means money to be paid out, while an itching right palm is money coming in. To stop the left palm from itching, the superstition says to rub the palm on a piece of wood.
There may be something to this old tale, since itching palms often show new internal energy moving through the hands. The left hand is the passive or receptive, and the right is the active. When the left palm itches, look for new energy or services coming into your life – Of course this will probably cost you some money. The right palm itching means energy or services going out – Work you might get paid for.
Touching or rubbing wood is a very old method for transferring or releasing unwanted energy buildup (thus expressions like “touch wood”), so if your left palm itches, try rubbing it on the corner of a table – If you don’t get a splinter, perhaps you’ll save some money!
It all makes sense now :) The wife is literally finishing up her first two weeks back in the work force today, and is now due her first paycheck! (Right palm = money coming in!) Which, oddly enough, she’ll probably be getting either today or Monday, haha… How’s that for superstition?
And now you can say you’ve finally learned something here :) You’re welcome.
Even More Money Superstitions
Here are 12 other money superstitions that may also fit your fancy…
UPDATE: Turns out my wife had Cholestasis – a liver condition that occurs in late pregnancy: “The itching is most common during the third trimester of pregnancy but sometimes begins earlier. It may feel worse as your due date approaches. Once your baby arrives, however, the itchiness usually goes away within a few days.” – Mayo Clinic. So it actually had nothing to do with money at all, imagine that? And good thing we caught it too – it’s apparently super dangerous to newborns if left alone! So if you’re super itchy and pregnant reading this right now – make sure to ask your doctor about it!
(Photo by nate steiner, tinted by J$)
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!