Tell me if you don’t know people like this…
I just paid off my debt! (You shouldn’t have had any to begin with)
I just invested in my first stock! (You need to diversify more)
I just saved for retirement! (Why? YOLO!)
Budgets are sexy! (No they’re not, they’re boring)
I just rode my bike to work! (You’re gonna get hit by a car one day!)
I just bought a used car! (It’s gonna break down, you know)
I just bought insurance! (You would have been better off saving it)
I just saved $20.00 doing it myself! (My time is worth way more than that)
I just got a raise! (I just got two)
I just paid off my mortgage!! (You’re an idiot. If you had invested that money in an 18.19% yield over the past 10.3 years you would have had $128,173 more! And that’s without the stock splits!)
I’m about to retire early! (You’re not gonna know what to do with yourself)
I just became a billionaire! (You greedy bastard)
I just donated all my billions to charity! (You know they’re gonna use it for booze and crack)
Haters gonna hate, but you don’t have to.
Keep being your fiscal loving self!
Originally posted in 2015, but the hate is still strong out there… ;)
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!