Too much? Sorry, feeling a bit feisty today ;) You know how us guys are. Seriously though, Wal-Mart is HUGE!!!! I just got this email forwarded over to me by my father who LOVES sending over this sorta stuff (do you find that yours does the same?) and I thought it was pretty interesting if it’s indeed true. It not be *accurate* but it’s still awesome.
Regardless, companies like Wal-Mart and the like interest me like crazy. The logistics to run such a place is insane! I can barely run myself, and that’s on a good day ;) And to bring in SO MUCH freakin’ money every single day? Whew – that’s one helluva juggernaut. Business-wise I think they’re pretty incredible.
But I’ll still continue to do my shopping at Target (or Tarjay as we like to call it). I think Wal-Mart has some incredible offers & sales going on, but I always prefer to shop in cleanliness & at a place where everyone smiles and actually seems like they WANT to help you. I’d happily pay a few extra dollars to shop in a visually appealing, stress-free, atmosphere any day. $hit, sometimes I run into Target for something simple & end up enjoying myself for an extra 30-40 minutes! But I digress…
- At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.
- This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
- Wal–Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick’s Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.
- Wal–Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco +K-Mart combined.
- Wal–Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And many can’t speak English.
- Wal–Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.
- Wal–Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.
- During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).
- Wal–Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world
- Wal–Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years a go.
- This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal–Mart store. (Earth’s population is approximately 6.5 billion.)
- 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal–Mart.
Apparently Wal-Mart can bail out Wall Street! Jeesh. So there you have it, Wal-Mart is almost as big as my hooh-ha. I wonder how long they can keep this title? I bet Google or Apple will catch up to them one day. Soon everything will be digital (even you and me) and we’ll be a pile of walking facebooks & tweeterers blogging our way through society…(what?) I dunno, i’m starting to not make sense again, that’s my cue to go! Later haters.
Get blog posts automatically emailed to you!
It all sounds great, but I do have one concern. How many of those 1.6 million employed at Walmart actually make more than minimum wage and how many make enough to eek out a comfortable living?
Not a bad question at all, my friend. Another one would be if they’re happy!