As I sit here typing this, the DC is getting yet another 10-20 inches of snow – on top of the 2+ feet we just got! I don’t know where you live, but this is craziness for us. I think we got like 5 inches total last year ;)
But as I “work from home” for the 4th business day in a row, I’m realizing just how much I could care less about money right now. I know it’ll change when all this is over, but at this moment there’s only one thing I really REALLY want to keep right now – ELECTRICITY.
If Benjamin Franklin were still around I’d pay him back in so much beer he would have never invented another thing! haha… I’m telling you, the second you lose electricity you realize just how wonderful it is.
Think about it – without electricity we can’t:
- Keep warm (or at least w/ our set up)
- Keep our food from going rotten
- SEE (unless you got mad candles)
- Take hot showers
- Cook (if you have an electric stove)
- Use the Internet!
- Blog/Check emails
- Use online banking to do online banking stuff
- Use the ATM to get out cash
- “Work from home” (you like how I keep quoting that?)
And on and on and on. You can have a billion dollars in the bank, but without electricity these days you couldn’t even access it. Electricity is totally my currency right now, and I just pray we have enough to weather the storm – literally! So if you don’t hear from me for a while, you’ll know what I ran out of… even the iPhone dies after a while :(
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!