Yup, for every complaint that comes outta my mouth, a $1 bill goes into a jar! Reason being? It’s Lent time baby!!! And after a long hard week of trying to come up with something, I did what every man has to do once in a while – I stole someone’s idea ;) So thank you much Kaitlyn, my dearest blogger friend! I now have a game plan to put into action.
For those who don’t know, every year during Lent (40 days preceding Easter), us Catholics give up something on behalf of the Good Man upstairs. And this “something” is supposed to be challenging as you’re basically sacrificing for a while. So giving up something like beets or radishes, or anything else you don’t care for doesn’t count…although as a kid i may have done this (shh…)
Usually I give up something physical like sodas (VERY hard to do at first, but def. do-able as I found out 2 Lents ago) or even Shopping as i did last year! Which, I gotta say, REALLY makes you realize how much you spend on a daily basis – i highly recommend trying it. In fact, I came close to choosing that one again this year, but it’s a lot more easier and less challenging now, so I figured it was time for a new one.
So now comes the No Complaining Rule! Not only will this help me become a better person (hopefully), but it’ll give back to the church as well. Every time the Mrs. catches me complaining, or i catch myself, or even if YOU catch me complaint-blogging, that jar will fill up with $1 bills. And at the end of these 40 days – on Easter – I shall tithe all this money to our church :) And at the rate i’ve been going lately, it’ll be a hefty amount!
It’s a Win-Win situation all around, and I’m very excited/nervous to get started. I’ve already slipped once and it’s been less than 24 hours! haha…But I’ll be damned if I don’t come outta this much better than I came in. Anyone wanna join me? Anyone give something different up?
UPDATE: It’s now 2019 and I barely complain anymore!! One of the best challenges I’ve ever done – highly recommend it!! (Though warning – you will now hear *others* complaining much more than you used to which can be somewhat annoying, haha… Still 100% worth it though ;))
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!