Today’s a quick tip to remind you that no one can ever take away your accomplishments. Once you’ve done something brilliant – whether in life or career, or even money – it’s yours. Forever.
- That time you got promoted? You earned it.
- That time you flew to Africa? Banked memories.
- Those $10Gs of debt you just paid off? Party time!
Once you’ve accomplished something great, or even mediocre ;), it’s yours to keep – no matter what happens down the line. And this is important to keep in mind because we deal with a lot of $hit in our lives, and the days only seem to be going by faster and faster as we age!
8 years ago my friend Nate and I launched a project called Love Drop. We had no idea what we were doing, and every month we were afraid of failing our mission like clockwork. 12 months later we wrapped it up having helped 12 families across the country and raising almost $100,000 for them.
It was amazing. And no one can ever take it away from us no matter what stupid stuff we do in the future (and believe me – we do a lot! ;)). Even as it’s been shut down for 7 years now, it continues to pay dividends in both our professional and our personal lives and now it’s ours to keep forever even if we never do another project again.
I think about this a lot when it comes to our finances too. Every milestone we hit in our net worth, for example, is a check mark that becomes accomplished forever. Even if we lose it all and go bankrupt one day, those milestones will be etched in our own personal timelines as cold hard facts that no one can ever take away from us.
That’s powerful stuff. And you can find these achievements in all areas of your life:
- The time(s) you got that job offer
- That time you met your significant other
- That time you paid off your first credit card!
- That time you did something you were really scared of
- That time you had all those beautiful babies
- That time you started a company or side hustle
- That time you budgeted AND had money left over!
- That time you got away with something really naughty (you know who you are)
- That time you graduated elementary, middle, high school, undergrad, graduate, super duper fancy pants grad-grad school
- That time you listened to J$ and maxed out your retirement accounts 🙂
- And that time you made your parents incredibly proud (and probably still do)
Do yourself a favor over the weekend and marinate on your own list of accomplishments. Write as many of them down as you can think of which will serve as indisputable facts in your own personal history books. Then keep them close by so they turn into physical triggers as the days pass.
These are all reminders of the amazing things you’ve achieved, and no matter what happens down the road they can never be taken away from you. Cherish them and keep adding to the list!
Happy Easter, everyone 🙂 Life is good.
PS: This post was originally published in 2014, but had to revive it again as it’s helped me immensely over the years… My hope is that it does the same for you, too! Don’t forget everything you’ve done!
[Infinity love symbol by Nicolas Raymond]