Talk to an H&R Tax Professional for FREE today!

Tax experts from H&R Block are offering 24 hours of FREE “taxpertise” today! All you have to do is call or email in your tough tax questions and get free, expert advice. They can be reached @1-877-HRBLOCK (1-877-472-5625) or e-mailed at Good luck slackers ;)

(Visited 13 times, 1 visits today)

Get blog posts automatically emailed to you!


  1. Nathan Kraus January 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM

    My wife and I paid interest on our home loan that does not equal our combined Standard Deduction. Can we do a Married filling Separately return and one of us claim all the interest?

  2. J. Money January 23, 2012 at 7:19 PM

    Oh man, you got me there. This article is a few years old, but I know they usually do them once a year so maybe head over to H&R Block’s website and check? I’m sure they can help you out :)

  3. Liz April 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM

    In order to include tax deductions via charitable donations to a non profit 501 c 3 organization, what sort of documentation or evidence do I need? Thanks!

  4. J. Money April 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM

    Hey Liz, unfortunately this post is 4 years old – sorry :( But I think the answer to your question is the receipts? Might want to Google to double check or reach out to H&R Block.

  5. Andrew Fiegura March 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM

    Just looking for some basic info. My stepson who is 22 years old worked last year as a temp employee at my job and made only about 5,000 dollars for the year. He paid out about 244 dollars for federal taxes and about 66 dollars for New Jersey taxes. I did his taxes using turbo tax online and after answering all the questions he will only be receiving back what he paid in taxes and no more than that. I was wondering how they expect this man to live on that income. I mean he lives with me and I pay everything that he gets but I was told that i cannot claim him on my taxes because he is 22 years old. Shouldn’t I be able to put him down as a dependent. If not why doesn’t he get some types of credits when he did his taxes.

    1. J. Money March 23, 2014 at 2:12 PM

      I’d help if I could but I’m not the right person unfortunately :( (And this posting is 5 years old…). maybe just call up H&R Block and see what they say? Or ask a CPA friend someone may know of?

  6. Eric Gasak November 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM

    Hi I want to adjust my w4 to have less money taken out of check. I don’t care about my refund at the end of the year I just want less taxes taken out of my check. I’m a single father who pays child support and I am head of household. I want to know what I could claim without screwing my self over here. I claimed 4 but I had not yet submitted my paperwork in yet but before I do I need to know. Someone please help me.

    1. J. Money November 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM

      This post is 5 years old, sorry :( I’d ask a friend or family member for a good accountant recommendation and see what they say. Mine saves me tons of money (and time) every year and very much worth the cost.

  7. jason January 22, 2015 at 12:22 PM

    I need to file an amendment for the past two years. my son wasn’t claimed on taxes for the past two years and I need to file an amendment but not sure how to fill out the amendment form

  8. Sarah Leos March 9, 2015 at 10:01 AM

    I have never owed the it’s money, asked making sure I filed my tax’s correctly and even getting a second opinion before filing. Last year they said I had a passed due obligation and charged me $300, I did nothing because I didn’t know what to do. They are doing the same thing. Help? I don’t understand.

  9. J. Money March 9, 2015 at 12:05 PM

    This article is 6 years old, sorry guys :( Keep Googling!

  10. sasha June 2, 2015 at 6:07 PM


  11. Forrest September 19, 2015 at 5:40 PM

    I recently moved to California for an internship from Massachusetts and have a full time paying job as well (still enrolled full time cause internship is 12 credits). I realized for the first time that I may be able to file exempt and 1 for the rest of 2015 and get all my taxes back? Is this true? Cause online it states no matter what I would have to pay every cent back if I claim exempt. Don’t get my first paycheck for 2 more weeks so I still have time to re-submit the paperwork. But I’m an independent and I recently filed exempt-1…so can someone please tell me if I did the right thing as a college student? I don’t want to owe the IRS any money if I claim exempt-1 =(

    1. J. Money September 22, 2015 at 4:12 PM

      try calling them up and asking! (or asking friends for a recommendation of someone they trust you can ask). This post is 6 years old :(

  12. Tracy L Keough January 25, 2019 at 1:02 PM

    Over this past year I have spent more than 5,000 dollars on tennis lessons for my 2 daughters, should I ask the club for a receipt of said expenses, to take with me when getting my taxes done, or is it not even worth my time?

    1. J. Money January 25, 2019 at 2:27 PM

      This article is old, sorry :(

      (but not sure what category tennis lessons would fall under anyways tax-wise? so my guess would be that it’s not applicable, unless you guys are running some sort of business around tennis and can count it as an “expense?”)

  13. ANGEL RAMIREZ March 14, 2021 at 8:08 PM

    I did my taxes with HnR received my money allready but my child tax credit was 2000 I understand went up to 3600 do I need to do something else to get it the rest of the money owe to me fill amendment or what do i do?