Yep – I went out and did it. I created that coin collecting blog I’ve been flirting with! I know you’ve been on pins and needles over the past few weeks just waiting, so today’s your lucky day ;) And, by lucky, I mean your choice of “nerdy” or “boring” – depending on what excites you in the morning…
Regardless though, go check out my site and tell me awesome things about it! You have to support me because we’re friends here!! ;)
It’s my new place to discuss coins, currency, and, well, any other types of numismatic awesomeness. It’s basically my way to not drive all you non-coin lovers crazy on this blog here, haha… But I’m also secretly hoping to “bring it back” to the young crowd too. I genuinely think it’s an amazing hobby to get into, especially with everything you learn about the history of our great country!, and, really, I’m tired of being the youngest collector around, haha…
Coin collecting is cool, dammit! Why won’t anyone listen?? ;)
So while I am hesitant to yet again dive into another project, I finally just decided to go “all in” and see what the potential is. I’m one of those people who needs to just DO IT, as Nike says, and put things out there into the “real” world. Sometimes this results in utter nonsense and I scrap it months later (remember GiveawaysAreSexy.com?), and other times – like in the case of Budgets Are Sexy – it completely, and utterly, changes my life. The only problem is that you never know *which* project will ever hit big and stick! So for now, we pretend this one will :) I’m on a roll with Rockstar Finance so far!
Also, something we don’t talk a lot about here is what happens once your side hustle turns into your FULL-TIME hustle? Yeah you’ve now replaced your day job with (hopefully) a more fun and potentially better one – which is incredible – but do you fill back up the side gig space? Or do you just focus on the one main project now?
A friend once told me that you always have to have “something sexy” on the side. (Sexy in the sense of something you’re passionate about, not necessarily hot women and/or budgets ;)) And that when most people turn their hustle into a day job, they forget to replace the sexiness in their lives and get overwhelmed. I can definitely relate. I still love Budgets Are Sexy to death, but it’s def. not the same as it was in the beginning. When it was purely for fun and no mouths needed to be fed off it :) So I think my friend has a point. We all need something “sexy” in our lives, whether business-related or not.
Coin Thrill is my new sexy.
I’m treating it solely as a hobby too. Only blogging when my heart desires and not getting all strategy- like up in there. It’s coins and fun – that’s it! And if it takes off, it takes off. Or maybe I get lucky like Dave did and it’ll cover my coin
addiction hobby completely? :)
Here are some articles I’ve written that may interest you:
- My latest 2 Cent piece!
- An interview with fellow pf blogger, Len Penzo (and how he collects in case zombies come around ;))
- A cool story on how I came to own some “Widow’s Mite”
- And a break down of a recent coin package another blogger sent me…
If any of you ever want to participate in it, please let me know! I’m still in the initial stages of everything, so who knows where it’ll all go… I’m always looking for more coin collector stories and coins themselves too, if you ever want to pass any of those over? ;)
Please share with your other coin & currency collector friends too! I actually haven’t found any other blogs I really like or relate to with this stuff yet, so any tips there would also be immensely helpful.
Thanks guys! I’m pretty excited about this one… Who knew a chance meeting at a flea market years ago would send us down this path? Life sure is interesting :)
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!