Good morning my sexy little budgeters! I hope y’all have had a killer week and you’re ready to extend the awesomeness into the weekend 🙂 If you’re hitting up FINCON13 with me here in St. Louis, make sure to snag me and say hi! I doubt there’ll be too many people with mohawks and mustaches – but you never know what Mr. Money Mustache is up too…
We haven’t done a “Hits and Misses” here in a while, so thought we’d take today to go down some of the random ups and downs we’ve had lately over here in the Money household. And then would love to hear from you guys after 🙂 Hopefully you have more hits than we’ve been having!
Hits this month:
1) I learned how to juggle! Haha… it’s taken me more than just a month to pull this off, but it’s only now when I can see the full progress of throwing 3 balls into the air and not having them fall and hit me and the baby money in the face 😉 I’ve been practicing every morning for 5 minutes while we play in the mornings, and now after weeks of doing that I can confidently juggle 3 items of almost any (small) shape pretty well! I’m pretty impressed with myself – been wanting to do that for 30 years now and taught myself. NEXT UP: whistling!
2) Our latest credit card statement shows we spent $500 less than normal! I’m not sure exactly how that happened, besides the fact we haven’t been doing much lately and no emergencies have popped up, haha, but I’ll happily put it in my pockets any day 😉 And just goes to show there’s always room to improve expenses if you need to!
(Side note: we use our credit card for as many expenses as we can, and then pay it off in full every month. It’s our easy way of budgeting and getting some free c/c perks at the same time 🙂 I don’t advise doing this though unless you *really* trust yourself and know you won’t slip up.)
3) We saved $180 and future responsibility of a cat? Haha… AKA we found that beautiful stray kitten a home! 🙂 Or, rather, our neighbor did. He put up signs everywhere and had a new home for him within days – huzzah! I still kinda wish we had kept him, but the timing just didn’t feel right all the way. So I’m happy with how it all turned out. (On a sad note, the day after our neighbor found him a home, one of his OWN cats ran off and hasn’t been seen since 🙁 What kind of karma is that?)
4) My wife continues to find cash hidden away. This time $32 in last year’s jacket. *shakes head*
Misses this month:
1) We had to drop $2,200 on the Mrs’ Health Insurance. In one sitting, ugh… On the plus side, we’re now paid up for the next 12 months for her, and we’re also still with her university’s plan too – which is very important. They have great benefits and the overall cost is fairly low if you run the numbers and break it down per month ($183/mo). We’d prefer to pay it out that way, but nothing we can really do unless we threw her on my plan instead. Which would not only be much more expensive to do (because it’s self-employed one), but ALSO cut the benefits in half. So it is what it is.
2) Our day care expenses went up $12 a week, or almost $50 a month. Not the worst, but certainly not favorable (or surprising). Everything these days keep getting jacked up every 6-12 mos so I’m slowly just accepting it and not trying to freak out every time 🙂 I’m sure it’s a double increase too back in the DC area!
3) Our rental property keeps having problems – this time at $260. We’ve literally not had a single month yet where some fix was needed, it’s so annoying. Granted we’re still in the beginning with only 3 months under our belt, and better to be smaller things going down than LARGER ones, but it still stings. If this keeps up I’m totally calling shenanigans on this whole “investment property = wealth” thing. It’s driving me bonkers.
4) I wasted $5.00 on a “Zombies” scratch off lottery ticket 😉 It was my reward for having a crappy day last week, only to then be “rewarded” again with a loss of $5.00, haha… Another good reminder to continue staying away from them live I’ve been doing over the past few years.
So overall many more losses than wins unfortunately this month, but life goes on and we all still have our health 🙂 How about you guys? What are some of your hits and misses from the month so far?
Have a blessed weekend!
Photo cred: Wonderlane