Every year around this time my family and I take a week long vacation to the beach. For the past handful of years we’ve landed in Rehoboth, Delaware, but this time around we’re heading down south and trying something new: Charleston, South Carolina – opah!
The last time I was there was for a bachelor party, but something tells me this time might be a bit different ;) Like, having my parents there for one, and then a fridge full of breast milk instead of ice cold PBRs, haha… But hey, at least breasts are still involved!*
All this to say that I’ll be away for the next week or so chasing around little kids and ignoring “work” for a while. Which pretty much means checking in only 2 hours a day instead of 12 to make sure nothing’s exploding (and so I can go about soaking up the sun stress-free). I call this hustler’s peace of mind, and have to remind my mother of it every year as she scolds me for “not having fun” in the mornings. As if blogging isn’t fun??
Anywho, while I’m away you’ll have plenty of interesting articles to read while I’m gone ‘cuz your boy never leaves you hanging. In fact, some of you will be delighted to know there will be a fabulous new post live every day next week! Courtesy of some bad ass blogger friends of mine – so be sure to come back for those, a few are pretty fascinating :) (Just don’t kick me out when I come back, okay?)
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s dive into some financials!
Here’s what it’ll probably cost us to chill out this week:
- Car rental: $410. We decided to go on another epic road trip to save some cash on the transportation (though not so much the sanity). I’m sure it’ll take a lot less than the 14 hours there and back to St Louis last year, but it’ll still be a fun adventure in itself. And just like every time we rent a car, I enacted the Enterprise Trick: Reserving a car one class down than the one you really want, in hopes of scoring a free upgrade and saving a cool $100. I can’t tell you how many times this has worked for us in the past (at *least* the last four), so I’m praying it works yet again too. If not, it’s about to get real comfy in this bitch! Haha…
- Gas: $200? This will depend on what size SUV we end up with tomorrow :)
- House rental: $280/couple/family. It’s usually free every year as a gift from my parents, but now that we’re popping babies left and right we needed to upgrade and so we’re all chipping in to pay the difference of it. Small price to pay for a week long rental right on the sand :)
- Food: $150? We take turns cooking dinner for each other which is nice, so with partial groceries and some snacks/beers/meals out, I reckon we’ll come away spending maybe $100-$200 on consumptions for the week. Maybe more if the wife and I can sneak out for a dinner or two without the kids for once, but not holding my breath, haha…
- Day care: +$110. Yes, in a strange way we’re getting paid to go on vacation. But it’s actually not as awesome as it sounds. Even though we won’t be ANYWHERE NEAR day care this week and of course we WON’T BE USING THEM, we unfortunately still have to pay for it :( In order to “keep our spot reserved” and make sure their people are appropriately staffed. It’s pretty much as lame as it sounds. Thankfully they give you a break though and cut your rates in half while you’re gone. So we’ll save a Benjamin simply for leaving rather than staying.
- Metal Detecting: +$2.13. I’m also going to break my old beach record and try and find 1 penny more than before in those beautiful yellow sands out there ;) I have no idea what the Charleston area has buried there, but after watching the entire season of Southern Charm (
a riveting documentary on nobleman in the areaa reality show) I’m hoping for some Rolexes.
- Miscellaneous: $50. There’s always something that’ll come up during these trips (books? chotzkies? speeding ticket?) so I’m not even gonna try and pretend to ignore this. Just slap it on and let’s get to relaxing!
Total damage: $977.87. Whatcha think? For a week at the beach? Or, rather on the beach? I feel like that’s good… We’ve only been taking off one week a year anyways since having the kids, so I’m okay with letting go a bit and unwinding. I really don’t want to become one of those workaholics who never hangs out with their kids cuz they’re hustling so hard, so I’m doing my best to curb it down a bit and take a break. As hard as that is.
So that’s where I’ll be all week anyways. In and out of the water and coffee shops of C-Town! (Do you think the people there call it C-Town? I’m gonna try and make it a thing, haha…). We’ll actually be outside of the city a bit on some shore somewhere, but I’m hoping to swing by the downtown a few times and get my southern learn on… That place is so full of history. And ghost tours too!
What are you guys getting into this weekend? Think you’ll spend more or less than me? ;)
*For the record, I actually opt out of all strip joints during boys weekends… Something about paying to see stuff you can get for free just never sits right with me, haha… And what’s worse is you can’t even touch! It’s like a friend dropping off a Ferrari at your house and then *paying him* to take the keys away – no thanks. There are plenty of other ways to torture myself ;)
[Photo cred: mogollon_1]