Saw an interesting tip posed by my man Tom Corley the other day, author of Rich Habits.
He says this is the “only question you ever need to ask yourself” before making a move. Which is kinda drastic in my opinion, but hey – here I am blogging about it!
Here’s the question:
“How will this move me forward?”
So simple, yet so profound! And something that could have served me well back in my college days too, haha… (does moving forward towards beer and girls count?! Maybe just 1/2 a point?)
Here are some times where Tom says is smart to ask yourself this question:
- Before you turn on the TV
- Before you click on Facebook
- Before you cheat on your spouse
- Before you gossip
- Before you gamble
- Before you light that cigarette
- Before you feel like hitting someone
(I like how cheating on your spouse is right up there with Facebook, haha… How about when you use Facebook to cheat?? Do you have to ask yourself twice? (womp womp))
Anyways, a great question to think about for sure. And of course, it extends merrily to our finances and careers too. As much as we sometimes might prefer it didn’t ;)
Here’s a list I quickly put together on when you might want to ask yourself this question relating to your money… Will any of this help move you forward??
- When you take out your wallet
- When you take out your credit card
- When you step into the mall
- When you log onto Amazon
- When you take out a loan
- When you stop reading Budgets Are Sexy (the horror!!)
- When you opt out of your 401(k) contributions (double horror!)
- When you quit your job with nothing lined up (unless you’re doing it to read the complete archives of Budgets Are Sexy)
So as you can see, it’s a pretty powerful question. You don’t want to analyze yourself to death every second of the day, but I’d imagine that even just asking yourself this *once* in a more general way each day could serve you and your wallet pretty well.
“How will all my actions today move me forward?
Great question to have on your phone or computer’s desktop screen too! Or even as a daily calendar reminder? Imagine seeing this pop up every time you open it up in the morning? Would be pretty hard to ignore!
Check out Tom’s blog or book if you haven’t done so before… he reminds me a little of a modern day Napoleon Hill, and is always putting out short and sweet passages that tend to get me to stop for a few and reflect… Great for *millionaire research* too, as he spent 5 years interviewing the wealthy (and the poor to compare better) which later turned into a book and catapulted him onto the scene.
Here are a few nuggets from his research which I’m pretty obsessed about:
- 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% for poor
- 79% of wealthy network 5 hours or more each month vs. 16% for poor
- 80% of wealthy are focused on accomplishing some single goal. Only 12% of the poor do this.
- 88% of wealthy read 30 minutes or more each day for education or career reasons vs 2% for poor
- 76% of wealthy exercise aerobically 4 days a week. 23% of poor do this.
- 67% of wealthy write down their goals vs. 17% for poor
- 44% of wealthy wake up 3 hours before work starts vs. 3% for poor.
- 6% of wealthy watch reality TV vs. 78% for poor.
So yeah – lots of things to ponder!
Now ask yourself: how will reading this blog post move you forward today? ;)