I know I know, taxes – ugh.
But I might have something for you that could save you hundreds of dollars this tax season, both in filing fees, as well as getting back the maximum refunds owed to you.
It’s a tool called MyFreeTaxes.com, and despite its somewhat spammy name I guarantee it’s legit ;)
Not only do I have a good friend who recently switched careers to work for its parent organization, but its parent organization is none other than mega charity United Way! I.e. the largest privately-funded charity in the entire world! (#TrueFact). MyFreeTaxes is one of their initiatives in fighting for “the financial stability of every person in our community,” and they’ve already helped close to 1 million people since launching in 2009, saving them $180+ million in fees in the process.
They also happen to be the only free, national, online tax filing product offered by a nonprofit, and is powered by H&R Block’s premium software making it even more robust and easy to file.
See – legit!
But of course, there is a catch, however it’s a good one whichever way you look at it ;)
In order to qualify to use MyFreeTaxes, your total household income must not exceed $66,000 for the 2017 year, whether that’s W-2 income, freelance income, investment income, or a combination of all three. So if that’s you, great! Keep reading to learn more! And if not, great too! Congrats on making more than 70% of your fellow citizens!
But whether you qualify or not, I hope you’ll help me spread around the word so everyone else in our communities can learn about this great option too. Even a tweet or Facebook share can help, as we ALL know someone who makes less than $66k a year! And it covers *individuals* too, not just families, so it really does affect a ton of people.
Please help me share this around today!
Here are more details, and benefits, of the MyFreeTaxes program:
- The average filing savings is about $200 using MyFreeTaxes
- Most filers complete their taxes in under an hour
- It’s powered by industry leader, H&R Block, which guarantees that tax returns are 100% accurate and uses the highest standards to safeguard taxpayer information
- The software screens for refund and credit eligibility such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC), to ensure filers receive their maximum tax refund
- It’s easy to use; just upload a picture of your W-2 and MyFreeTaxes will automatically fill in your info
- Filers can call, email or use the chat box to get assistance from IRS-certified professionals in real time (available from January 29th through April 30th, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday, and between Noon and 9 p.m. EST on Saturdays)
- Users can file federal taxes, and up to three state returns for free
- There are specialized forms for self-employed filers
- And they offer support in both English and Spanish
They also have an option for filing taxes in person, for those who prefer that instead. They’re called “Volunteer Income Tax Assistance” sites (VITAs), and the locations and other info can be found at MyFreeTaxes.com or by calling 1-855-My-TX-Help.
So yeah! A killer option for those who qualify! Please helps us get the word out as it can literally help millions of people in our country!
Here’s the link again for anyone who wants to take advantage of this –> MyFreeTaxes.com
They’ve already saved people over $1 billion in refunds over the past 8 years, and they need our help in continuing it until we finally reach financial stability for all those around us. Which let’s be honest – is going to take a very long time :( So be thankful if you’re in the top 30% here who don’t qualify! What a luxury to be able to shoot for an early retirement!
UPDATE: I just got confirmation that the $66k is actually AGI (Adjusted Gross Income), so in actuality you can be earning much more than $66k and still qualify if you’ve got lots of deductions!! Making this even better!
This post was in partnership with United Way and MyFreeTaxes.com, which as you know by now I’m a huge fan of ;) Programs like these are exactly what we need to be doing more of in our space, and I’m proud to be a part of supporting the mission.