That was the headline of a press release I just got – isn’t that crazy??
Or maybe it’s not, I don’t know – who am I to judge right?
(okay no – it’s definitely crazy ;))
This comes from a recent survey by MyBankTracker, and apparently this wasn’t the only freedom people were willing to give up to rid themselves of their debts once and for all. I hope it includes mortgages and student loans or else this world is even more bonkers than I thought! But again – no judging!! ;)
- 13.1 million people would read only “fake news” to get out of debt (vomit)
- 10.5 million people would switch political parties if it meant getting out of debt (double vomit)
- 10.3 million people would wave their right to data privacy (i.e. web browser history) – to nix their debt (that would actually be fascinating for the rest of us :))
- 9.3 million would give up their religious freedom (every atheist raises their hand, haha…)
- 6 million would give up their freedom of speech to rid their debts (men were twice as likely than women to give this up btw)
- 3.5 million would go to jail to be free of debts once and for all (men were nearly 4x as likely to pick this one than women – because women are smarter)
I don’t know how you can extrapolate all this into *MILLIONS* of people since the sample size was literally only 2,000 respondents, but I’m no statistician so I’ll just nod my head and play along here…
All I know is that I must be pretty boring as I paid off all my debts the old fashioned way – knocking them out one by one with some good ol’ hard work! It took a while, and fortunately I never had *too much* debt to even consider alternate activities, but it’s good to know there are more sane options at our disposal whenever we’re ready to press GO.
And really – that’s the key to it all right there: FINALLY COMMITTING to becoming debt-free! Once you decide on that, the steps to achieving it come a lot easier.
And certainly doesn’t require any jail time ;)
But that’s just me… Maybe you would trade your life to get out of debt for a while?? Or pay homage to your political enemy for a chance at debt freedom??
We actually polled some of our friends here the other year on just that, and here’s how they replied:
So looks like I’m in the minority here ;) I just know I wouldn’t last a day in lock up, my hands are too soft!! I’m certainly not as brave as our friend Billy from WealthWellDone.com who survived TEN YEARS of it and came out victorious, whew…
If you haven’t seen his story before, you can check it out here as it really is something inspirational: How I Survived Prison and Accidentally Found My Path to Wealth.
Anyways, that’s my two cents on these crazy new stats…
How about you? Would you serve jail time or give up freedom of speech/religion in exchange for becoming debt-free??? How much debt would it wipe away, if so?
Fun things to think about at the very least… And if you ever do come across a Debt Fairy, be sure to snap some pics as you’d probably get debt-free by peddling those around just as fast!
I can see it now: Side Hustle #75 – Hawking pics of the Debt Fairy! #BOOM!