OMG this is a good one :) Big props to NPR and Brad from Time’s MoneyLand for circulating this around – very clever! I was starting to run out of some good ones over the years, haha…. so here we go – a new Would You Rather! Courtesy of MoneyLand:
Would you rather:
A. Live in 1900 and make $70,000 a year.
B. Live today and make $70,000 a year.
If you choose A., you get to be super rich; your income is roughly equal to $700,000 today. You get a mansion, servants, the whole deal.
Choice B. means you aren’t rich, but you’re not poor — and you don’t have to worry about being crippled by polio, or killed when a cut on your foot gets infected. You also get cable TV and air conditioning.
Haha… those are some pretty hardcore cons ;) I immediately chose to continue living in modern times, but I gotta admit it was pretty tempting thinking about being rich like that. You could be one of the first to pimp out a Model T! Haha… or pretty much buy whatever you wanted back in the day. What would be even BETTER, however, is if you could bring your own brain w/ all that knowledge back there! If you know all the secrets of technology and ways to avoid certain diseases, maybe you could last a longer more fruitful life? Would suck losing all your friends and family though… hmm… too many variables…
What would you go with on first instinct? Tempted one way or the other? If you’re not already making $70k, I think you have an easier call to make ;) So pretend you’d keep making whatever it was you are, haha… would you live in today’s world with $35k forever, or be super rich 100 years ago??
Other things to keep in mind: No internets back then, no microwaves, no pet rocks, and everything was in black & white ;) Wouldn’t you miss color???
Previous Would You Rathers:
– Would You Rather… Millions vs. Teleporting
– Would You Rather… Sex vs. Money
– Would you Politically, and Publicly, sell out for $10,000?
(Photo by Seattle Municipal Archives)
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!