I came across this gem while decluttering some old “memory” boxes the other day… (the hardest to declutter btw – good lord!):
In case you can’t read that, it says I would do the following if I were given $1,000 back in the day (mid-80’s):
- Buy 3 Nintendo games
- Buy a pair of roller blades
- Get $75 worth of “drawing things,” such as drawing books, big sheets of paper, etc.
- And then put the rest right into my bank account – BOOM!
Seems like I had trouble blowing my money even back then :) Unless you count the rollerblades (does anyone still use those?).
I was going to write a post about all the stuff I’d by NOW – 30 years later – however it quickly dawned on me that it would be a complete snooze-fest up in here if I did that.
Here’s literally what I’d do if someone handed me $1,000 right now:
Throw it all into my Roth IRA.
Lame right? Where’s my imagination????
I tried to figure out the *why* behind this as I’d certainly be EXCITED to get my hands on an extra $1,000 at any point in my life (and even more so a $1,000 bill! Which, ironically enough, are worth $2,000+), and here are the three things I came up with:
- I’m content. There’s nothing I can think of that I really need or WANT right now, outside of some extra sleep every night (is there any black markets for that?).
- I treat myself already. One of the perks of getting your money down is that you’re more free to spend on niceties knowing it’s not going to kill you. From better tasting beer, to non-cheap hobbies like coin collecting, random splurges, to even ordering whatever you want off the menu without having to first check with your budget.
- And then lastly, of course, all $$ nerds know that $1,000 invested now will turn into $100,000 later when we’re old and gray and will probably need that money to pay for our dentures.
As you can see, not the most riveting thing to read on a Monday morning :)
But this is where you come in…
I’d like you to think about this same $1,000 question for a hot minute or two yourselves, and then scroll down to the comment section and leave your own (hopefully more interesting!) answers for all of us to live vicariously through.
But here’s the catch: You can’t do anything “responsible” with it. You literally have to spend all $1,000 in cash a la Brewster’s Millions and not put any of it towards your financial goals.
What would you do? How long would it last?
Let us know in the comments below, and I will reward THREE of you a crisp
$1,000 bill $100 bill so you can accomplish at least 10% of it ;) The only other rule is that you *must* be signed up to our newsletter here to qualify.
You can sign up to it here if you’re not already: Budgets Are Sexy Newsletter
(Basically we just email you our new posts as they come out)
We talk a lot about the “smart” ways to use your money here on the site, so now’s our chance to just let loose a little and dream about all the FUN ways we can blow it all.
Leave your answers below and we’ll award our three favorites! Happy spending!
UPDATE: Giveaway over! Here are the three lucky winners:
- Alyson Greene – For your sister’s dream garage project for kids!!
- Deb (commenter #142) – For future “Bond & Booze” nights with all your friends (hilarious)
- (commenter #225) – For being an awesome teacher :)
Thanks for participating all! We’ll be doing another giveaway soon…
PS: I’d be tempted to buy 1,000 scratch-off tickets and go round II of our lottery experiment ;) Anyone remember that from back in the day?