You know those people who say you can make money doing *anything* as long as you’re passionate about it? Well, I’m one of those people :) But even more so when you’re actually GOOD at whatever it is you enjoy! Haha…
Check out this list I put together 8-9 months ago that was hiding in my draft emails (oops). I asked folks on Twitter & Facebook what they’re really good at, and the results were pretty fun:
- I’m really good at helping my friends find great clothes when shopping. Kind of like a freelance, unpaid version of Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear! – Annabelle
- I am awesome at Trivial Pursuit. Seriously I am the Queen of Useless Knowledge! – Liz M.
- I’m really good at photographing women with tattoos :) – Jeff
- I’m really awesome at being a friend. That’s something I’ve grown to appreciate as I’ve gotten older. I try to be the friend I want to have, and I’m proud of that. :) – K. Johnson
- I am awesome at baking bread. – Cindy
- I am awesome at public speaking. – Marilyn Wons
- I’m awesome at captivating groups and making them laugh. – Josh
- I’m awesome at getting people to take a step back and look at the bigger picture in almost any situation which benefits them95% of the time. – sexyslimmai
- I’m awesome at motivating and enabling people to run. (That is, if they have any interest in the first place! That’s always the biggest hurdle) – Frances
- I’m awesome at comforting a crying baby. – Mami2jcn
- I’m very good at finding answers to questions/random information. Which is a good thing, since I’m a librarian, and that’s pretty much my job. – Maggie
- I am awesome at baking vegan cupcakes. You’ll never eat one with eggs and dairy again! – Cate
- I am an amazing parallel parker. – Allison
- I am awesome at making homemade blackberry jam — FRUGAL jam, made with on-sale sugar and berries picked for free, and preserved in jars from the thrift store. I have the scratches on my arms to prove it and the purple under my fingernails to prove it. – Donna Freedman
- I am awesome at teaching guitar. That is not the same thing as being awesome at playing guitar. – Mary Beth Elderton
- I’m awesome at making excuses. In the future I hope to be awesome at NOT making excuses. :-) – Jen @ Master the Art of Saving
So first, never think you’re not good at anything – cuz you are! You just gotta figure out *what* it is, exactly. And then if it’s something you can charge for and/or do on the side without driving yourself nutso (that is, if you even want to parlay it into a money-making venture to begin with). This is what all those Side Hustlers do who we feature on this blog every month. They turned their hobbies/interests into something that generates a little cash on the side for them. It’s sexy.
If you haven’t asked yourself what you’re awesome at lately, stop for a second and do it right now! Here, just fill out this sentence and drop it into the comments:
“I am awesome at __________. And I could maybe do ____ to make money with it.”
Profess those skills loud and proud, baby!
Photo by Evil Erin
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!