Wallet Crashing’s back! This time to the ladies and their purses 🙂 Specifically, my dear friend – and AWESOME journalist – Kathy Kristof from the L.A. Times, Kiplinger Mag, and more. She’s one of the few personal finance “experts” that actually crack me up (See: the Liz Weston vs. Kathy Kristof blogger showdown), which is why I thought she’d be perfect for this 😉
Here’s some background on her from her bio for those not familiar:
About Kathy Kristof
Kathy is an award-winning personal finance writer, who blogs for CBS MoneyWatch and serves as a contributing editor at Kiplinger Personal Finance magazine and Kiplinger.com.
She’s also the author of three books:
Formerly a staff writer with the Los Angeles Times, Kristof’s awards and honors include being the former president of the Society of American Business Editors and Writers; the recipient of Consumer Federation of America’s Betty Furness Media Service Award; the California Alliance for Consumer Education Award for Excellence in Consumer Education; the ICI/American University Award for excellence in personal finance writing; and a John Hancock Award for excellence in news reporting.
Now Onto Her Purse!
[As copied/pasted from her email to me ;)]
I knew I might be a little horrified to see what was in my purse, but Lordy…..
Okay, a little explanation is required. I got a really huge purse a few months ago because I was going on a business trip and I wanted a bag that could fit my laptop. The problem becomes that when you have a purse that huge and you’re not traveling with a laptop, you somehow find a way to fill it up anyway.
So, here’s what’s in my purse, in categories:
- $87 and change, $17 of which is in ones. Don’t ask me why. I am not a waitress.
- a check register and checks
- 2 credit cards (Capital One’s Venture because I love the points that can be used for any travel and a Costco/American Express card because it’s the only one they take at Costco)
- a debit card
- an auto club card
- a health care card
- a Starbucks card
- driver’s license
- three pens and a pencil
- an iPhone/iPad charger
- a notebook
- sunscreen (I drive a convertible)
- Washington, D.C. subway map (refer back to comments about the business trip)
- assorted business cards
- my passport because you never know when you might need to leave the country
- high-heeled shoes (Dancing, later?)
- make-up, to freshen up before dancing, perhaps…or after
- a scarf, in case it gets cold when I’m out dancing
- notes from a writer’s workshop (I live in LA. We all have a screenplay idea. It’s a rule.)
- bracelets. I don’t know why they’re in my purse.
And I got rid of the assorted grocery store receipts before taking this picture. They were too messy and this pile of debris was humiliating enough.
Thanks again for participating, Kathy! And stay tuned for the next wallet/purse/clip/? crashing to come… If any one knows of some fun celebrities who’d be up for it, please do tell 😉
Our previous Wallet Crashings:
- Wallet Crashing #1: J. Money
- Wallet Crashing #2: Jean Chatzky
- Wallet Crashing #3: Mr. Money Mustache