True story – today is officially National Pay Back Your Parents Day :)
Which the good folks at NationalToday.com alerted me to, who did a fantastic job of keeping my attention throughout their press release, haha…
Here’s a snippet of it:
November 20 is National Pay Back Your Parents Day, a chance — now that their kids are grown — to give parents what they really want (besides maybe grandkids): Cold. Hard. Cash.
Consider this: According to one study, Americans spend more than $233,000 just to raise a child from birth to 18 years of age. That’s an incredible amount of moolah that parents gladly shelled out to keep their kiddos in the lifestyle to which they’ve grown accustomed. Isn’t it time those children thought about paying their parents back?
Haha… they only speak the truth!
And honestly, I’ve always thought *birthdays* should be celebrated as such. Not necessarily in the cash department, but in the thanking our parents for actually MAKING US realm!!! Since we didn’t do a damn thing to be born! Haha… Why should we get all the gifts and love when it was our parents who are the real heroes?
But since I don’t see that tradition turning around any time soon, I can get behind this new day instead…
And here are a few ways you can celebrate Pay Back Your Parents Day today, with some help from that same press release as well as my own two cents… Gotta make sure they know just how much you love them! It was a lot of work raising you guys into the fine citizens you’ve become! ;)
- Take them out to lunch/dinner tonight! And cover the tab!! The true mark of adult’hood, lol…
- Create a coupon book a la 3rd grade. Offer deals like “one free ride to the airport” or “6 hours of free yard work” and watch your dad faint. (But then force them to actually *use them* one day, which they never tend to do!)
- Take yourself off their insurance/cell phone plans. The one thing all parents dream of, haha…
- Declutter your old room once and for all. You’re now living on your own, get your old stuff outta there and let your mom finally have her craft room!! ;)
- Start paying off your loans from The Bank of Mom and Dad. Yeah it’s awesome they fronted you some cash and said you can pay them back whenever, but why not get started sooner and show some good faith? Even $20 makes a dent in it!
- Add *interest* to your loans from Bank of Mom and Dad! Hitting them with a double surprise when they see an extra few pennies tacked onto that Jackson ;)
- Just literally call them up and tell them you love ’em. A) for making you, which we’ve established was pretty important, and B) for then keeping you alive all those early years. You’ve done a good job from that point forward, but the real work was in that first half of your existence… Remind them why they wanted to have kids in the first place!! :)
So happy National Pay Back Your Parents Day!
I’m off to print this out and stash for when my own kids turn 18…
I hope this holiday will still be around then!