Happy Memorial Day, y’all!
It’s been 1 full year since I took over blogging here at Budgets Are Sexy. HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!
I really appreciate all you lovely people. Thanks for reading, interacting and sharing your stories. It’s been a great year.
Wow, time flies. It’s a weird feeling because even though I’ve spent a whole year writing here — sharing intimate financial and personal details, fielding thousands of comments/questions/emails, and building great virtual relationships with some of you guys — somewhere way deep down I still feel like Budgets isn’t really my blog.
Imposter syndrome is a real thing!
I remember when I took over last June, J$ told me it took him 2-3 YEARS to find his groove in blogging when he started out… So I guess there’s still a loooong road ahead for me and Budgets; one I’m happy to keep trotting down. 😎
Seriously, thank you all. This blog wouldn’t exist without you peeps. Let’s do another year and keep bringing the fun and sexiness to Budgets.
$exy Stats From the Past Year
A lot of cool stuff has happened with the blog the past 365 days!
- Total blog posts published: 104 ←—- 15 guests posts + 89 written by yours truly
- Total comments: 2,109
- Total email replies: 10,000+? ←—- People don’t realize that for every public comment on a blog post, I probably receive 5x *private* email replies from the newsletter. I respond to all comments and emails — it’s my fav part of blogging. Thank you all. 🙏🙏🙏
- Net worth increase: +$151,296!! ←—- Holy crapamole! This is the increase since we started tracking some net worth assets 7 months ago. 🔥🔥🔥
- Number of beers consumed while blogging: ~254 ←—- Beer helps the creative juices flow. 🍻 Do you think I can claim these as a tax deduction?
- Number of free books sent for me to review: 37 (and 1 nudie magazine was posted to my PO box by a fan. Not sure what to think of that, but, thanks?? 🤷♂️)
- Books I actually ended up reading: About 8 😥 ←—- It’s not that I don’t want to read everyone’s stuff, it’s that I don’t have time. I’m trying my best!
- Podcasts I’ve been a guest on: 7 ←—- How to Money, Friends on FIRE, Do You Even Blog, Best Interest Podcast, to name a few!
- Other media interview requests: 100+
- Number of interviews that were cancelled once they found out that I AM NOT J. Money: 100+ 🤣
A few other cool things that happened this past year:
- I got a small raise, including company benefits and a new 401k! (Then my company changed their mind and removed my benefits 6 months later. 😭)
- Wife and I sold our spare car! Now we just have the “White Shite” (Prius).
- We sold 1 of our physical rental properties…
- … and moved that cash into a new real estate syndication deal!
- We gifted $2,500 to a new baby nephew, paying forward what was gifted to us earlier in life.
- We’ve made about $3,000 from opening new bank accounts with sign-up bonuses. Even more if we include credit card churning. 🤑
- Also made about $1k selling random stuff online!
- I volunteered at Meals on Wheels every Friday for the year. Actually, I skipped a few weeks when traveling. ;)
Lastly, and probably the most important thing that happened this past year … My wife and I HAD FUN and enjoyed life, the best we could, through all the challenges and shit that we all lived through the past year.
Summer 2021 Happenings and Life Updates
Some people asked, most people didn’t, but here are a few life updates and things going on with us personally…
My wife and I are finally approved to be resource parents! We started the long and slow application process to foster/adopt kids through L.A. County last year, and a few weeks ago we received our final approval certificate. Going forward, we will get transferred to another case worker — one who actually matches people with kids — and then the *real* stuff begins. We still don’t know what the end game looks like for our future family, so bear with me while we figure things out. Thank you to all the people who have reached out with encouragement and support.
We’re road-tripping this summer! Camping in Sequoia National Forest, Vegas, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Montana, and maybe a coastal route on the way home… Most of July we’ll be out and about! Of course some of this could change depending on the note prior. :)
Also in the works later this year is an all-inclusive trip to Mexico somewhere, and maybe a surprise trip home to Australia (covid dependent) for Christmas! We’ll see.
Before I forget — any of you industry peeps making it to Fincon in Austin this September? I may try to make it out there (we have some rental properties “around that area” so I could probably claim the trip as a tax deduction 😉). Or, maybe I’ll wait another year until 2022 when Fincon comes to Long Beach.
Some sad news about Cooper, our dog… A few weeks ago he hurt himself and has somehow lost most of the coordination in his back legs. Don’t worry, he’s in no pain… But he’s hobbling around like a baby deer who’s learning to walk for the first time. Falling, no strength, wobbly… We’ve had X-rays and are getting an MRI to try to figure it all out. Poor Coops. 🐾
I’m officiating my friend’s wedding! Some good friends here in LA are getting married and asked me to officiate their wedding this summer. What an honor. I have recently become a licensed minister and can legally wed people in the state of California. So if you all could please address me as Reverend Joel going forward, that would be great. (And if you live in SoCal and want an Australian accent in your upcoming wedding ceremony, I am for hire. I only ask that you a) allow my wife and I to attend the reception and b) play a few ABBA songs so I can show off my sweet twirling dance moves.)
Ending on a serious note… Do you readers have any finance topics or specific article ideas we should look into writing about this upcoming year? Speak up now, or I’ll just be picking random stuff to write about, and it could get weird. 🤪
Have a great Memorial Day!