My boy Ramit is giving away $1,001 to a lucky winner in a couple of weeks – as a “social experiment” – so I thought I’d help him out by asking you all what YOU would do w/ the money if you happened to win it yourself? And the odds you’d actually *stick to it* if you really DID win it? (Make sure to enter here though first, or you’ll never even have a chance! ;))
Personally, I think I’d divide it up into 3 main sections:
- The first thing I’d do is dump $500 of it into our baby’s 529 college fund. Which we have yet to still open, haha… though I reckon this would certainly help speed up the process! ;) And I feel like $500 is a nice solid number to plop in for all future months too, but we’ll see how business and life continues… no matter what we’ll be putting in *something* every month!
- Then I think we’d use $300 for a nice trip out to a bed and breakfast somewhere in wine country, Virginia. Every year we try and do this for our anniversary, and those things are always so expensive in the time frames we want to go (mid to late May). It would be awesome if we got this year’s trip covered for completely!
- Then another $200 towards charities of my friends’ choice (since I don’t really connect with any myself). I’ve gotten pretty bad lately of donating money or giving time to any charities now that our own wrapped up in December, so this would be a great way to get back into the good habit of it all again. I miss not having a place I believed in 100% :(
- And the last $1.00 would go to a new lottery ticket! (In May, of course ;)) I figured if I got lucky enough to win this $1,001 in the first place, I should probably try and extend my good fortune!
I’m 99.9% sure I’d do all 4 of these too if I were to really win the money. It’s kinda hard to go back on your word when it’s down paper and you’ve blogged it out to thousands of people, haha… How about you though? What would YOU do with $1,001? It’s certainly not $640 million dollars like the most recent Mega Millions craze, but it’s still just as sexy!
(And remember, you can’t win if you don’t enter! So be sure to spend the 5 secs doing that as soon as you drop your answers down below – I want someone HERE to win that money!!)
PS: Do you think your odds decrease today since it’s Friday the 13th? ;))
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!