We always talk about the things we ARE saving for, but what about the things we AREN’T? Have you ever thought about it that way? It’s actually kinda cool because you already accomplish all of them! 😉 Haha…
Here are a handful of things I am NOT saving for right now:
- Bigger house – I never ever plan on living in anything bigger than a townhouse. Condos, 1 level mini-houses, penthouses, those are all good. But I really really don’t want to live in anything bigger than that – esp. mansions or mcmansions. Unfortunately I think the wife and future kids might not agree with me on this one 😉
- Fancy clothes – The sales bin at Express is all I need these days. And maybe a little Rugged Wearhouse action (name brand stuff heavily discounted) or even Target, as lame as that sounds. Filene’s Basement is kinda hot too, but stuff there never fits me.
- Electronics – No TVs, DVRs, surround sound, iPods, iPads, iPhones (already rockin’ version 4! Although I spilled Coke on it this weekend and just about killed it… so fyi – don’t do that.), and anything else electronic-y related.
- School – While I encourage higher education and totally believe it’s worth the money, the classroom experience for me is pretty much over. Unless I change career paths down the road, it’s all about learning from Doing and networking and conferencing and workshops and stuff like that going forward. I’ve realized that I learn much better via hands on experiences than I do listening to lectures. I won’t ever say NO though if a class I really think I’d enjoy comes up down the road.
- Anything over $100 – I can’t think of anything at all that I want/need that’s over $100 right now. Does that make me lame? Sometimes I wish that I’d wish for stuff 😉 But also kinda not.
I know this sounds weird, but I’m telling you – listing this out is some powerful stuff! Telling yourself what you’re NOT trying to spend money on? Shoooooooot. It really empowers you. I can go to sleep happy tonight knowing my money is sleeping soundly instead of lost on big stupid toys I don’t want.
What are you not saving up for these days?