And it feels GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! But also – SCARYYY!!!!!! Haha… Not only to have $2,000 disappear from your account so fast, but to not be able to GET IT BACK if we change our minds later! It really feels against everything I’ve been running with over the past 5 years 😉 Which is pretty much SAVE everything cuz you can always pay off debt/buy stuff later. It doesn’t work the other way around though (well okay, it does if you have *equity* in your home and can snag a line of credit, but in our case it’s a no go… not that we want that anyways (I just want the *option*)).
It’s funny because my mind is torn between two places right now, and yet we still have 119 more payments to go 😉 Though I am proud of myself for going ALL IN and at least trying it out. I’m hoping I just get used to it over time and this $2,000 because just like every other bill I’ve gotten fine with paying each month (like my iPhone and cable package). What I wasn’t expecting was dreaming about all the stuff I could be buying INSTEAD now w/ that money, haha… esp since I’m not much of a “things” buyer anyways these days. Crazy how the mind works.
I actually made a list of everything we could do to improve our house if we were to send the money that way instead. And some of these we could do EVERY SINGLE MONTH if we wanted to! (Like the fridge) Freaky!!
- Hardwood floors — It’s been a dream of mine for a while to live in a place with all hardwood floors, I absolutely love it. Especially old worn-in floors 😉 These cats of ours tear the crap out of our carpet, drives me bonkers.
- New fridge — While our stove has been upgraded to stainless steel, our fridge remains old and yellowish a la the 1980’s. We’d love to swap in a newer energy-saving stainless one in a heartbeat. And with the $2k we’ll be spending every month on the mortgages, we could get one or two of these bad boys every MONTH! Haha…
- Sexy kitchen cabinets — That’s right. Not modern cabinets, or “nice” cabinets, but SEXY ones 😉 Nice cherry grain w/ nickel brushed hardware – that would be hot. And an incredible difference from our laminate compressed fake-wood ours are currently made with, bleh.
- Matching counter tops — To go with our new sexy cabinets!
- New Dishwasher — To go along w/ the stainless steel everything else. And also to have one where the little prongs to break off every other week!
- Walk-out patio – To get me to come out of my new basement office more regularly 😉 Would much rather walk out to a nice chill-out area than grass and rocks that I need to clean up every now and then… but this one’s on the lower list of stuff we want.
- New mattress — Cuz the one we sleep in is STILL hundreds of years old. (I know, so bad for us!)
- New bathroom tiles — Our master bathroom was not tiled so well back in the day… It desperately needs some love and attention.
- New sliding glass door — Going on 30 years old now (ack!)
- And the wifey wants an expanded pantry 🙂 And by default, I do too.
Now of course we’re not gonna let this push us off track just yet – how embarrassing would it be to fail your big plan after month 1?? – BUT, I’d be lying if I said we weren’t thinking of applying some of the *extra extra* towards these home goals later. If we’re gonna be stuck in this house for a few more years (cuz it doesn’t look like that’s changing), we may as well make it sexier and ENJOY it while we’re here before offloading it, right? Especially if it adds value to the place? I don’t wanna be one of those people who upgrades their entire kitchen or living room or whatever just to sell the place higher and never get any fun out of it themselves. I’d rather spend the money earlier and get some good use out of all the upgrades before handing it off. But of course that’s Perfect Perfect Land, and right now we’re still struggling to hit the main Perfect Land first 😉
The point is that now that we’re actually putting Operation Mortgage Payoff into effect, our minds are starting to wander and REALLY testing our willpower – something we honestly didn’t see coming. But while we’re playing pretend-land over here w/ our imaginative house upgrades, we’re also crazy EXCITED we owe $2,000 less money too! A feeling we haven’t had for quite some time as we’ve been good about not taking on much debt over the years. So I’m hoping *that* feeling sticks around with us and continues to grow as time passes, so we’ll be more and more confident that we’re making the right decisions with all this.
We may not be able to get any of that money back we’re putting into our mortgages, but we sure are getting a taste of what the Good Life’s gonna be one day! And sometimes you become home-free (ba dum ching!) once you start knowing the difference 😉 So that’s the final report after month 1, my friends – we’ll be back again later to see how these feelings keep morphing.
If you’re still thinking of putting a game plan into action yourself, hurry up and just START! It doesn’t matter what kind it is, take advantage of how FAST these months go by and ride the momentum!