Every year I put out a “10 Ways to Woo” post around this time (although once I did it in October?), but it seems like I’ve already given out most of my romantic secrets already.
So this year, I thought I’d round up some of my all-time favorites, and then sprinkle in a few new ones to give you the best of the best. I doubt most of you have seen what I brew in the WOO department anyways ;) So if you’re scrounging around this Valentine’s day, be sure to give one of these some thought! Here we go…
The Top 10 Ways to Woo on Budget:
- Set up camp in your living room! This is one of my favorite ideas cuz you get the best of both worlds :) Pop up a tent, gather a few sleeping bags and blankets, and enjoy some peace and quiet in the comfort of your own home. Could probably even do s’mores depending on your stove.
- Replace the Hershey Kiss tag thingies w/ your own words.** Cut up some small paper strips, pick up a bag of Hersheys, and swap out the tags w/ your own creative ones!
- Make her/him a mixed CD! This is a classic all the way from high school my friends ;) And you KNOW chicks love it. You don’t necessarily have to go w/ all romantic songs either – hook it up with those that remind you of each other, or just your favorites.
- Pick up two matching goldfish, and name them after yourselves. Cutest/cheeziest thing I’ve ever written, but def. a fave.
- Put some naughty into your board games. Like Jenga? Try out “lovers” Jenga by writing down some punishments on each of the blocks. That way, EVERY turn is fun!
- Hook your other half up w/ a massage!** And a decent one too, not your 2 min. quicky she’s probably used to ;) (sorry, the Mrs. made me put that…guess she’s trying to tell me something)
- Get all lovey by putting a “Just Married” poster on your car. You’ll have to drive around for a bit to get the effect, but it’s still cute.
- Place Post-It notes all over the place.** As the link suggests, I’ve actually done this one before ;) And it wasn’t even on Valentine’s Day! (Awwwww). That’s the beauty of this one – you can rock it any day. Just jot down some lovely memos and then plop ’em throughout your home. On doors, closets, mirrors, cabinets, tv’s, anywhere.
- Cook dinner WITH each other. Find a good recipe, go shopping together, and spend some good quality time together. Whip out the fancy silverware and never-opened candles if you want! Anyone can PAY for a fancy dinner, but making it yourself is sometimes better.
- And my all-time favorite….the whipped cream birthday suit! A la Varsity Blues (sfw, but barely). I swear, you pull this one off ladies and it’s a done deal.
Whatcha think? Got any better ones to add? We’ll be rocking the “make your own dinner” deal ourselves, and then maybe a dabble of #6 and a I-totally-wish-but-it’ll-never-happen #10 ;) But as long as we spend it together, it doesn’t really matter what we end up doing.
Previous Woo’age: 2008, 2009
** These are fail-proof, baby!
Get blog posts automatically emailed to you!
Ah sigh…the Valentine's posts are EVERYWHERE! Not that I'm complaining…well yeah maybe I am :)
I'll be rocking out Vday (pretty sure the fact it rhymes with Dday is not a coincidence…) this year with my closest girlfriends celebrating our independence haha.
I hope you and Mrs. have a memorable one!!
Anybody got any other fun tips? I'm liking J's #2 :) It'll be the first Valentine for us this year.
Awesome list! I have to share a funny story. My last Ex, before I got married, was a total sweetheart and one day he covered my apartment in love post-its. It was very sweet. I can't recall when that was, but we eventually broke up and a month later I met my husband (BTW, our first date was on V-day!).
A year or two after we got married, my husband pulled out my old guitar to show our daughter – and found one of my Ex's post-its! We laughed about it; it was pretty funny that my Ex hid some so well it took years to find (which was his intention – although I'm sure he figured I'd be married to him when I found post-its years later; oh well).
Gift idea: Like I said, me and my hubby's first date was V-day. He knew I liked frogs, so he made me a stuffed frog at Build a Bear and recorded himself saying "Happy Valentines Day, Kristin with 2 i's" (long story). He came over, picked me up, took me to the grocery store, bought all the ingredients and then went back to my place to cook me a romantic dinner. And it took him all night to kiss me for the first time. Very romantic! BTW, my daughter now has the frog and loves listening to her daddy's voice on it! =)
lol the Varsity Blues whipped cream bikini! Nice!
I guess I'll use the Varsity Blues bikini and drop MAD hints to the BF on the post its. LOL. Aren't those a pain to remove though???
Also, I think now the CD is obsolete. Maybe you'll have to digitally record your own song and send it to your love? There's an app for that…
I did the Hershey's Kisses last year – my fiance still talks about it.
Make him/her a mixed CD.
I remember doing that one time. Also made a mixed CASSETTE tape. Oh the good old days.
No one ever wants to see you in a whipped cream bikini. Not even Mrs. J, ha.
LOL. Love #1. #9 my husband and I argue if we cook together in the kitchen. And #10, always, its fun for both. Nice list. ;)
@Brandi – You know, the second I published this I thought about those who don't like/celebrate V-day ;) But it was too late by then! haha…
@Anonymous – Check out my giveaway post yesterday – people were leaving all sorts of GREAT tips too!
@Kristin Gentry – hahaha….that is so awesome on MANY levels ;) and cute w/ the bear idea too! your story reminded me of one of my exes too. For V-day she framed a picture of her in her cheerleading outfit and had written something in the back that I never found until 10 years later when i went to swap out the pic (we had broken up a week after that same V-day). It said something to the effect of "I should have listened to my dad a long time ago when he said you weren't meant for me. I'm sure by the time you're reading this we'll be broken up." HAH!!!! She was right ;) I always wondered what would have happened If I read it while we were still together though?
@smoney – Whipped cream bikini works every time! or at least that's what people tell me…
@Investing Newbie – A pain?! What? Are you on crack? haha… the cd may be old school, but it will bring back great memories too!
@Jane – REALLY? cool!!! You are awesome :)
@Money Honey SF – Mixed tapes were the best! I still have a few but can't take the forwarding/rewinding to find all the good songs on it….also reminds me i haven't listened to my 8 Track in a while…now THAT is old.
@Craig – That's not what your girlfriend told me ;) ooooohhhhh
@Money Funk – Aww yeahh!!! #10 is the winner, baby!
J. Money- will you be my valentine?
As far as #10 goes, if you make your own whipped cream, you are the epitome of frugal! ;)
Love the post it notes! One of my favorite Valentine's memories was when my husband and I were dating. He wrote down 100 reasons why he loved me and hid them in my room, in my car, in my school stuff, everywhere! It took me a long time to find them all, but everytime I found one, it made me smile :)
My favorite would be cooking dinner with each other. You get to spend some quality time together and you get to eat too! :-) I have never heard of anyone doing the goldfish thing. That is major.
J. Here is one more for your bucket…
Take a fortune cookie and hold it over steaming water. This softens it. Gently open to remove the standard fortune and insert you own custom note.
I did this on our 10th anniversary to propose to my wife again. The whole family still talks about it!
J. That is lovely! What a bunch of great ideas. Now I just need to meet someone as fun as you on Valentines Day. You give me hope!
@Mrs. Money – Of course! What kind of man would I be if I leave a lady w/out a valentine? Haha…
@Sandi – beautiful!!! did you ever find all 100? i bet you find more later when you least expect it :)
@SeeJaneGetRich – haha….i like your use of "major."
@LeanLifeCoach – Ooooh very smooth! I like that, well done :)
@Tracy – Haha, there are a lot like me out there! You can find most of them at coffee shops or art stores :) We have major A.D.D.
Great tips! I am definitely going to make her a personal CD. And will probably add something from the list ;) Thanks!
Love the Lovers Jenga idea. I also think it would be a great group activity, except without the sensual aspect. Think mom friendly activities.
Haha, yes for sure :)
Great ideas. I signed up for your newsletter.
Thanks Hedy! Much appreciated :) Going over now to poke through your blog…