If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the past 32 years of my life, it’s that TIME passes on quicker than you can say David Hasselhoff. And it’s best to take advantage of every last minute you have on this earth while you can! Whether it’s in the life department, the career department, your love life, or in the case of what we all like to talk about here – the MONEY zone! If you haven’t realized it as yet, learning how to make time work for YOU is a wonderful task to master.
The trick to it is first coming up with a game plan, and then STARTING. Whether it’s saving, investing, cutting out debt, it doesn’t matter – you always have to start *somewhere* and then let it ride allllll the way until your goals have been met. Sometimes that means 6 months from now, and other times 6 (or even 60!) years from now! But once the ball gets rolling, you let TIME take it from there and just hold on for the ride and keep doing your thing (AKA keep saving/investing etc month in and month out until you’re completely done. Or Happy :)).
Much easier to say than do, of course, but if you realize that the days will keep on coming in no matter what’s going on around you (and that you really can’t do anything about it anyways!), it’s best to take advantage RIGHT NOW and know it’ll all carry into tomorrow. And then when you get old like me, you can look back and see how you’ve been progressing over the years :) It truly is amazing.
I also believe that every thing valuable in life takes time (well, most things anyways). So whenever I need a good kick in the pants, I think of the following list to help keep me on track and motivated. I can remember the very first day of ALL of these so vividly, and look how long they took to accomplish!
- Graduating college: 4 years.
- Blogging full time: 3 years. And for the first 6 months I didn’t make a dime!
- Hitting $250,000 net worth: 6+ years! (I made and spent money throughout my life of course, but it wasn’t until I was about 26 that I actually started KEEPING some of it! Haha…)
- Wooing my wife: 2 years ;)
- Completely paying down our mortgages: 9 years? We’ve already gotten through one of ’em! ;)
Again, none of these things I did over night, but slowly over time – every single month – until we reached that magnificent finish line. And really, I’m STILL working on some of these guys! As un-sexy as it is, it’s MUCH easier to take on this stuff in pieces than in large chunks like we always want to deep down. It just doesn’t work that well. Not only for financial reasons, but also for mental ones. Don’t burn yourself out! Spread your goals out and continually work on them allowing TIME do the hard work for you. It all builds up, I promise. Just like that compound interest stuff.
So that’s your reminder for the day: Take baby steps and don’t get bogged down! Every morning you’re gonna wake up and start a brand new day all over again, but no matter how hard you try, each one will end and start you right back into the next one. It’s a never ending cycle (hopefully!), and there’s no way you can ever freeze time. So make the best of it!!
Now tell us: What types of goals are YOU achieving right now with time? How long have you been going for so far? Again – it’s not always that easy or fast, but we gotta keep sticking to it! Don’t let them tire you out and win, okay? You can do it! :)
(Photo by JanetR3)
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!