It sounds sad, but seriously – this gives our neighborhood so much hope. We’ll actually be able to tell what our houses are WORTH now since they’re pretty much exact molds of each other. And what makes this even more interesting is that I’ve heard their asking price is WAYYY higher than reasonably expected. I’m not sure if they’re just disregarding the foreclosures or if their realtor has even approved (and agreed!) to it, but either way it’s better than starting out too low, that’s for sure. Just some more extra rays of hope, baby!
My only fear here is that the closing price shocks us into reality. A good quarter of us bought close to the peak of the market, if not AT the peak (*ahem*), so it’s gonna be scary to see that real life non-zillow number hit us straight in the face. 3 years ago our places were going $350-$370k (we settled @ $360k), but the last estimate I was given was around $300k – the number I use when calculating our net worth. If I were a betting man though (a non-lottery-or-poker-playing-betting-man, of course), I’d say anything over $280k would be considered a win. And something tells me we’d realistically get only $280k. Which pretty much BLOWS, but I’m over it at this point. I blogged it all out of my system last year, and now ready for the recovery :)
And who knows. Maybe we’ll get lucky and some spendthrift bastard will come along and save the day! All we need is one person to plunk down the money to pump up the rest of our values – as crazy as that sounds. So I’ll keep ya posted, friends! Fingers crossed and happy thoughts up in hurr…
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!