And one of them I’ve already done! Haha… the “old J$” of course ;) But seriously, some of these things down below are just downright off the charts on the silly meter – and I give mad props to SmartMoney for bringing them to our attention all these months too. (They have this section in the back called “Dumb Money” which I’ve taken ’em all from – very interesting stuff). I’m all for spending money as you please if it makes you happy, but boy… some of these are just loony tunes.
Check it out… 7 crazy ways to blow you’re money: (PS: If you ever catch me buying any of this stuff, I give you free reign to kick me in the balls right away, okay? I mean it. Don’t let me slip!)
- $1,000 Doggy Perfume. By a company aptly named “Les Poochs” :) I do give them credit for finding a very VERY specific niche though, I wonder how many they sell? (You can buy this unisex cologne/perfume per quarter ounce too, at “only” $250)
- $550 Beach Towels. By Hermès, for those who crave the “it” beach accessory. According to the company, these towels are screen-printed using the same technique as their iconic silk scarves. I guess it could be worse?
- $50,000 Diamond Encrusted Cell Phone. By Ulysse Nardin, who also offers cheaper models starting at $12,800 – in case you were wondering ;) I’d be afraid to know what happens if it were to ever break or if you lost it! (Maybe the price tag comes with a personal assistant to always keep it on hand?) It better be able to text and make phone calls!
- $1,000 Golden Opulence Sundae. From New York city restaurant, Serendipity 3, which you have to pre-order 48 hours in advance ;) Includes five scoops of Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream, candy-coated almonds, sugar flower by a famous cake maker, edible 23-karat gold leaf topper, dessert sauce made with rare imported chocolate, a scoop of caviar, and a $200 crystal goblet (that you thankfully get to keep!)
- $100,000 Limited Ed. Iridium Razor. Which is apparently 10 times as rare as platinum and actually used in rocket engines (the iridium, not the razors ;)). But you better hurry up and get one before they’re all gone – Zafirro is only making 99 of them!
- $2,600 Bottle of Water** By Bling H20, the company pumping out a gazillion Swarovski crystals in order to make their glass water bottles shine. This $2,600 one in particular has over 10,000 of them, and even comes with a display case and white gloves to boot – no joke!
- $13,500 Napshell “Pod.” A place for you to rest your bones and look cool while doing it ;) I was hesitant to put this one on the list because I’d gladly pay $13k for perfect sleep every day, but something tells me this pod ain’t gonna guarantee it… and it’s not like nap time will ever be back in style again either :( I miss 2nd grade!
Any of you all already fall for some of these? Anyone feel even MORE frugal just by looking at them all? Haha… makes you wonder what ELSE is out there that the richy riches are going gaga over these days… let us know if you’ve seen some even crazier stuff, okay?! I could go for some more shocks today :)
** For anyone who’s been reading this blog for over 3 years now, you’ll know that I did, in fact, once purchase a bottle of Bling H20 Water. It wasn’t the big boy one listed above, but it did cost $40 and is currently taunting me from 2 feet away right now… I can’t get myself to drink it because it’s so darn pretty! ;) haha… and this does not count for nutt-kicking either, I was young and impressionable back then – you can only get me for future dumb things.
(Photo by 401K)
Get blog posts automatically emailed to you!
You better drink that Bling water before it goes flat dawg.
Crazy crazy list of stuff although if the POD guaranteed a great nights sleep yeah I might go for that. As it is, nap time is in style here. 1 hour every day with my little girl. It’s important to keep routines with children :)
Wow those are definitely great ways to waste money. haha
Freaking awesome. The iridium razor is pretty interesting..maybe holds value?
I don’t know about you, but when $1K = $20 to me, I am totally buying that sundae.
I want the $1000 ice cream.
I would eat out of that golden goblet everyday thereafter.
I feel like the dog perfume is a necessity, rather than an expense. :)
I thought I read about a hot dog that cost in the thousands. That would be something. All of these are things I will never enjoy in my lifetime :)
That doggy perfume might actually be worth it if it makes it so my roommate’s dog doesn’t sink! Or I guess he could just give the dog a bath once in a while..
I’m torn between 2 beach towels or the sundae, but I’m probably going to have to get the sundae. Oh wait.. this is stuff we’re NOT supposed to buy??
@Money Infant – Really??? Do you sleep too? Cuz if so I’m TOTALLY implementing that here in the J. Money Household when this kid comes out. I miss nap time like crazy!
@Michelle – It’s my favorite part to read in the magazine every month ;)
@I Am 1 Percent – Oh I’m sure it would. Even as a collector’s item down the line?
@leslie – I’m tempted to buy it now, just to say I did it ;) Would be a helluva good experience!
@Bridget – Haha, that’s the best part. You get to leave w/ something!
@Daisy – I bet you could use it on people too ;)
@Money Beagle – I remember hearing about that too, actually. I know there’s a deal for like X thousands of dollars where you can eat all the hot dogs and beer and snacks/etc you want for a baseball season? Or something like that…
@Tyler S. – I’d go for the sundae all the way ;) Reminds me once of seeing this $500 menu item at a diner a long time ago. Everything there was like $2 or $4, and then out of nowhere came this $500 price tag for a bottle of champagne and hamburger I want to say. I was a tiny bit tempted! ;)
I remember walking through Saks Fifth Avenue once and seeing a $95 onesie. Granted, it’s not nearly as expensive as these things, but it was just a plain, white cotton newborn onesie. I remember thinking, why on earth, even if you are a millionaire, would you pay $95 for an undershirt for a baby that is just going to get spit-up and poop on it before outgrowing it in 2 weeks? Nuts.
Okay, the napshell pod looks really cool, but I’m not sure about paying that much. I kicked myself in the a$$ when I spent 4k on a Tempur-Pedic bed, so I don’t think I’d buy it even if I could afford it. I just don’t get how people can waste money so easily, even if they have a ton of it.
I feel super-frugal after reading this
How about we celebrate with a bottle of scotch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Macallan
I’ve heard of the Sundae before (which better make me poop gold out afterwards) but not these other things. I can’t believe people actually make them – and they must sell some of them! Crazy.
I don’t understand the fascination with gold leaves. In Thailand, we put them on Buddhas, not a big deal.
I’m not going to lie.. that nap shell looks pretty fabulous. I miss 2nd grade, too!
The water bottle??? I thought for sure it was the beach towel you had purchased.
The podshell looks awesome ;)
Can’t say that I have. Although the dog wash place I go to sells dog cologne too.
My dog wears nothing but the best dog perfume! He’s the only dog at the park that the other dogs sniff from the front!
That’s a fun list. I’ve actually been to the New York city restaurant, Serendipity 3 and saw that dessert on the menu.
I couldn’t finish my $20 dessert so no point in the $1k one!
Since I wake up in my pod, drink a bottle of Bling H2O, check my messages on my diamond-encrusted phone, shave my legs with an iriium razor, dry off with a Hermes beach towel, and spritz myself with doggy perfume all before I eat my gold-leaf/caviar sundae every morning, I don’t think any of these are ridiculous ;-)
This one crazy list. Honestly, what is in this water that costs so much. It should be a youth elixir for me to consider it. :)
I admit, I kinda want that Napshell Pod …. :-)
What does your bottle of H2O bling look like that it only cost $40?
@Nicole – Haha… maybe out of convenience? Or if they’ve been wealthy for a while, they might not even *know* there’s other way more affordable clothes out there?
@Jen @ Master the Art of Saving – Woah, you have one of those? Is the hype real? Super comfortable? Or just the same as all other beds? Let me know :) We’re gonna be looking for a new one very soon – can’t stand ours anymore.
@WR – If you’re buying, I’m in! :)
@Young Professional Finances – I hope they’re selling some of them or it’d def. a waste of money ;)
@retirebyforty – Guess it just sounds sexy? :)
@Kelsey @ Zero to One Million Challenge – We should build a “budget nap shell” for everyone, I’d be down for that ;)
@Cassie – Haha… if I lived on the beach maybe :)
@Savvy Scot – Def. LOOKS good, but does it work?
@Jenna, Adaptu Community Manager – For much cheaper probably though, yeah?
@The First Million is the Hardest – Hahahhaa… then it’s totally worth it ;)
@Adam – Cool! You’re always hitting up the best places. You know more about them than WE do here in the States! ;)
@Christa – Haha… that actually sounds somewhat do-able if you were rich ;)
@Aloysa @ My Broken Coin – It has nothing to do w/ the water, but everything to do with the bottle it comes in ;) All V.I.P. like w/ crystals and what not. Though I haven’t actually tasted the water yet so maybe there is something special in it too? (I doubt it)
@Paula @ Afford Anything – If I win the lottery it’ll be one of the first things I’ll get for you ;)
@Anna – Like this :) It’s the one I own: Red Bling h20
It’s really comfy to lay on, but sleeping on it causes backaches for a couple hours every morning. If I could go back, I’d just get a nice pillowtop bed and save the money and pain. Some people love them, others don’t.
Huh… well that’s something to consider then. We found a knock off version of a Tempur-pedic for $1,000 this week and it took everything from me to get OFF of it, haha… was sooo comfy! But who knows how it would be once at home and living with it for a while… appreciate the info though, helps out :)
What a great list. I believe the $13,500 Napshell “Pod.” isn’t bad. i could buy such if i had the cash.
If you ever do, you better let me know what you think about it! :)