I just got finished reading through this DOPE article by Bridget on money personalities, and the first thing I thought was that I had to share it with y’all! A) Cuz she totally MADE THEM UP late one night, and they’re so freakin’ on point!, and b) Cuz I know y’all get as giddy as I do thinking about this kinda stuff ;) We like to figure ourselves out!
Your homework is to read the entire post later, but here’s a snapshot of her 5 personalities:
- Money Martyrs – Money martyrs find money to be the root of all evil. They are good at giving, but have a hard time receiving. They are polite while they watch people take advantage of their kindness. They tend to be very talented people who don’t make nearly what they are worth.
- Money Burners – Money Burners spend more than they earn and who don’t correlate spending with earning.
- Money Ostriches – Money Ostriches are afraid of money. They don’t understand the nature of money. They would rather it all went away.
- Money Freaks – People who are intense about money, know how much they have, spend very frugally, and never feel like they have enough.
- Money Mavens – Money Mavens love money, but don’t worship it. They’re certainly not afraid of it. They focus on money, but it also isn’t the primary interest of their lives.
Now obviously some of these are better than others, BUT, I think it’s VERY important to at least *know* where you stand, and how you want to move forward with your money in the future. Maybe you’re a Burner right now, and want to be more like the Martyrs? Or maybe you’re an Ostrich now working towards being a Maven? (Though I feel like that personality is pretty embedded. I have a good friend who’s 100% an Ostrich and he genuinely doesn’t care at all when it comes to money. He thinks it gets in the way of everything, and just does enough to get by w/out getting into too much trouble (though one major event would rock him!).
Personally, I’m probably a mix between a Money Maven and a Money Freak, haha… 75% and 25% ;) I wish I wasn’t, but there are def. times where I get hardcore and feel like I just need more and more and MORE even though I HAVE enough to be comfortable but I keep on pushing! I guess it’s good in the long run if I can calm down one day, but for now I’d like to keep trying to be more of a Maven. I don’t want money to consume me like other drugs out there (Yup, I just tagged this stuff as a drug! It’s so true if you think about it – it’s totally addicting! ).
Enough about me though – what personalities do you possess? And if you’re not happy with them, what are you gonna do about it? Being financially stable is more about just *knowing* how you are, of course, but getting that down is a helluva good start in moving forward. The first step to getting cleaned is admitting you have a problem, right?
PS: Big thanks to Tenacious Leigh for introducing me to Bridget’s stuff. For anyone interested in reading her other stuff, check out her blog at Intuitive Bridge.
(Photo by tourist_on_earth)