WE MADE IT to Friday!! :) And a long 4th of July weekend at that, my favorite kind (not that I have to go to “work” or anything haha… but still – it’s exciting!) What do you all have planned for this weekend? Anything super frugal or super scandalous in the works? We want ideas! Share it with your online family :) Here we go… 5 For Friday – 4th of July ed:
- What are you plans for the weekend?
- How much do you think it’ll cost?
- Do you have to go to work on Monday?
- If not, do you get paid for it,?
- What part are you looking forward to the most?
- *BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you?
My turn first!
- Weekend Plans – Up until 2 hours ago, I had none. Now I have 4 to choose from! haha… but we’ll probably pick the one that involves boating down a river with my family. They found this cool restaurant that floats on the water or something, so we’re gonna go check it out – should be fun! :) The rest of the days will involve relaxing and hopefully hitting up the pool. And of course, working. You don’t really get “days off” when you’re self-employed ;)
- Estimated Cost – Hmmm… probably about $1,000 in gas if there’s traffic. If not, $80 :) My parents ended up treating themselves to the boat last year, so now we never have to pay for trips anymore. And my fingers are crossed that they pick up lunch – though maybe we’ll surprise them and treat ourselves? If so, tack on about $150 for the 8 of us.
- Work Monday? – Nope! And Yup! Haha… I’ll “work” at least half the day for sure.
- Get Paid? – Kinda sorta. I get paid almost every single day for something whether I’m physically working or not. It’s just a handful of dollars here and there that add up to my “salary” overtime. I doubt I’ll get any advertisers knocking on my door that day.
- Looking Forward – Just chillin’ with the family. I don’t get to see them as often as I’d like, so it’ll be nice to unwind and just talk about every day life with ’em. The sun and beers won’t hurt either :)
- *BONUS* – Freedom means a lot of different things to me, but most recently I’m reminded how blessed we are for the ability to say, or blog, whatever we want without having to worry about going to jail :) It’s not so fortunate in other countries, and I’m gaining a much more appreciation for it as time goes on.
And you? Whatcha getting into, and how much fun are you going to have this weekend? Make us jealous! Some of us live vicariously through you :)
– 5 For Friday: A Peek Into Your Home
– 5 For Friday: What Car You Drivin’ Yo?
– 5 For Friday: Bank of Mom & Dad Style
– 5 For Friday: You & Your Career
Get blog posts automatically emailed to you!
1) What are you plans for the weekend? Not a whole lot besides trying to get the baby’s room painted and recarpeted.
2) How much do you think it’ll cost? No cost to us, carpet needed to be replaced and water damage to the wall means the landlord is taking care of it.
3) Do you have to go to work on Monday? No
4) If not, do you get paid for it,? Yes!
5) What part are you looking forward to the most? Enjoying a Holiday weekend for the first time in over a year.
*BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you? Being able to make our own decisions about our future, especially with being DEBT FREE!!!! Can’t wait for that very last payment to be made.
1. Weekend Plans – I am hanging with my friend Suzy on Sunday. Then my husband and I are leaving for Las Vegas early Monday morning and coming back late Friday night! Woot Vegas!
2. Estimated Cost – $2000-$2500 if we lose everything we budgeted and less if we get lucky at video poker and the Pai Gow tables. Half of that is simply covering our plane tickets, the hotel, and the shows we are seeing.
3. Work Monday? – Nope.
4. Get Paid? – Yes. It is a paid holiday at my day job and I bet I bring in something blogging too. :-)
5. Looking Forward – I am looking forward to having an amazing week with my husband. Since I started really pushing this blogging-from-home thing, I haven’t been able to really hang out with him for more than a couple of hours at a time.
6. *BONUS* – Freedom means not being scared to speak or write about whatever subject I want. It means actually having the ability to blog full time! It means that I owe a lot of men and women from our past and present a big debt of gratitude.
1. Hanging out with family and friends who didn’t go to the shore (New Jersey) or Beach ( Delaware/Maryland). =-) I’ll also finish up detailing my car. Yes, It takes that long. Wash, Clay, Wash, Cut, Polish, Seal, then a few coats of carnauba wax.
2. Estimated Cost – Probably end up buying some burgers and a case of beer so lets call it about 50 bucks.
3. Work Monday- Nope
4. Gettin’ Paid – Heck Yeah
5. I’m Looking forward to seeing my Monaro shine like never before. Oh yeah and spending time with friends and family.
6. Freedom is being able to be who you are without being persecuted. Hopefully the government will wake up and remember that this 4th and stop bantering back and forth about gay marriage. Legalize it and let’s get down to business with real issues, like fixing the deficit.
What are you plans for the weekend? My plans for this weekend are going to have me running crazy, Need to get new tires for one of my cars, Buy new wire shelves for the house, yard work (yuck), drink / BBQ and blow some stuff up /smile :-)
How much do you think it’ll cost? That all depends if I take my GF shopping with me or not. If its just me I’m sure not more then 700bucks. if she comes…….. I’ll have to head back to the blood bank
Do you have to go to work on Monday? No that I don’t, and think I’ll even take half a day today.
If not, do you get paid for it,? Yes
What part are you looking forward to the most? Relaxing with friends and family, fireing up the grill and searing some flesh. Can’t forget the beer and blowing stuff up though they kinda go hand in hand this time of year.
*BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you? It means a lot of stuff to me, being able to vote, enjoy my gun collection, and choose where I want to work and live.
1) I have two friends coming down to hang out this weekend. They are coming on Saturday! I’m really excited. I was going to go up to them, but considering my car isn’t working at the moment they decided to come to me. :D
2)Cost… well, a lot less now that I don’t have to drive and pay for gas! Although they will probably help me run some errands and we’ll pick up food and such for us to eat, and probably go out for a lot of coffee. I might even persuade them to go car shopping with me since I’m trading my old one in. Hehehe. So, not including the car… I would say I’ll spend around $100. Hopefully not that much though!
3)Work Monday- nope! Well, technically on Monday night I’m working because the youth group is meeting for the fireworks and I’m the youth minister. But the office is closed on Monday.
4)And yeah, I do get paid. My pay check is salary and not hourly. :D
5)Looking forward to seeing some of my good friends and relaxing. I leave for church camp on Tuesday, and after this whole car fiasco, it’ll be nice to hang out with people who help me relax.
6)Freedom – I’m not bound. I have rights. I can share my thoughts and opinions without fear. Well… at least not of the government haha. Maybe… lol
First off.. HEYO from CANADA!!! Today is our day :D Happy Canada Day to all the Canadians out there!!!
1. Weekend Plans – I work at a restaurant so my “weekend” is usually Tues-Thurs. And this week is no different. I’m working lunch and dinner today, tomorrow and sunday! But due to the long weekend it should be profitable. I work on downtown in Ottawa (and Prince/Princess are in town) so today is going to be a ZOO. I hope to meet up with some friends for a couple drinks at some point if possible!
2.Estimated Cost – That depends how ‘thirsty’ I am!!
3. Work Monday? – Ya.. but it’ll just a regular old day in the “office”
4. Get Paid? – Time and a half today baby!!!! And I would get paid time today if I wasn’t working. Gotta love stat holidays!
5. Looking Forward – Being with friends and making lotsa $$$
6. *BONUS* – Freedom is being able to think for yourself and do what you like
We’re hanging around the house, maybe going to our in-laws and to the beach. It’s low key this year due to the newborn (two and a half weeks old, woo hoo!) but we want to make sure we allow the two year old to run around and enjoy the time. As such, it will be low cost. I don’t work Monday or Tuesday (I had to use a vacation day for that one)! Looking forward to relaxing and enjoying some good weather, good food and good company!
1. Heading to the mountains w/my hubby :)
2. $200 for gas, hotel, fun, ect
4. Nope, but I made some extra money this weeks so it equals out.
5. Getting away, having fun, celebrating my anniversary, and starting my new full time job on Tuesday!!!
6. *BONUS* freedom means to me: being debt free (almost), being able to go back to school without loans, being able to speak my mind without fear of prosecution, and celebrating the 4th of July while honoring our soldiers who gave us that freedom.
1.Weekend Plans – 13 year old niece is coming to visit. I will take her home on Monday and spend time with the entire family for a couple of days.
2.Estimated Cost – $150.00. I will be taking my niece to the see the traveling show of Mamma Mia and we will go shopping where I will buy her some new clothes for starting high school. (We will be going to my favorite thrift store as one of the stops)
3.Work Monday? – No but if I was I would get time and a half.
5.Looking Forward – To spending time with my niece. She is growing up too fast.
6.*BONUS* – Freedom is someone being able to stand out in front of my work place (I work for the Fed. government) in a elephant suit with an obnoxious sign that may or may not get their point accross. This happened last week at work.
1) do some painting for the rental property, and chill the rest of the time with my boys, maybe fireworks
2) beer and food for painting – $50, since i have the materials from last time, hopefully 0 for hanging out
5) getting the paint job done and getting the lease from the new renters, having some QT with my boys
bonus – freedom means having options
What are you plans for the weekend? Hopefully having a baby. Otherwise, laying low at the house, in case I do go into labor. If I’m not in labor, we will drive up to the US Air Force Academy to see their fireworks…
How much do you think it’ll cost? to have the baby? um, thank god for healthcare insurance. Laying low at the house: zero, zip, nada.
Do you have to go to work on Monday? Nope!
If not, do you get paid for it,? Yup!
What part are you looking forward to the most? Having the baby
*BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you? wow, this is a loaded question…freedom means being able to reply to blogs like this, without looking over my shoulder. The 4th of July reminds me that somebody had to fight for my freedoms. Someone, without hesitating, lost a body part, or their lives protecting these freedoms that we have.
Yay for 5 For Friday!
What are you plans for the weekend? unpacking, going to the pool, drinking beer
How much do you think it’ll cost? $0! We have tons of beer and a community pool!
Do you have to go to work on Monday? nope
If not, do you get paid for it,? N/A
What part are you looking forward to the most? Relaxing, getting the house organized
*BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you? Being able to do whatever makes me happy and a productive member of the world. :)
1. Camping / Family Reunion of awesomeness! Can’t wait!
5. Camping, sitting by the fire, river float, catching up with family and riding dirt bikes.
6. Feeling safe and having the ability to vote, share my thoughts and be happy.
What are you plans for the weekend? family is invading tonight & leaving Tuesday morning but leaving my nieces with us for 2 weeks.
How much do you think it’ll cost? we all pitch in for food, etc. It might cost me $40-$50 for the weekend/4th BBQ
Do you have to go to work on Monday? nopers
If not, do you get paid for it,? yup
What part are you looking forward to the most? spending time with my family
*BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you? Being able to live the life I do and eternally thankful and grateful for all the amazing people out there fighting to keep our Freedom.
Happy Canada Day, J. Money!! Monday will be business-as-usual up around here, but today it’s all about the celebrations. Or at least eating some strawberries and vanilla ice cream and declaring it “festive.”
1. I’ve actually been on holiday this whole week, and it’s been LOVELY! I went up to the cottage for a few days, and today I’m ringing in Canada’s birthday by going to the beach! It’s super hot and sunny today.
2. Maybe $10 total? I need to take a ferry to get there and back, plus the cost of some snacks I’m bringing.
3. I do, indeed, but I didn’t have to be there today.
4. I’m on salary, so I am still getting paid as usual for today.
5. Just relaxing and hanging out with my friends. Should be a pretty low key day.
*BONUS* I guess for me it just means being able to live a life free of any kind of judgement or persecution, be it racial, religious, sexual, gender-based, etc. It’s still not perfect, but I’m grateful every day to have been born in a country like Canada. Never want to leave!
1. What are you plans for the weekend? Going to see the Galaxy kick Sounder’s butt
2.How much do you think it’ll cost? Approx. 200.00 but it’ll be worth it ;)
3.Do you have to go to work on Monday? H E double HOCKEY sticks no
4.If not, do you get paid for it,? H E double HOCKEY sticks yes
5.What part are you looking forward to the most? My hubby DAVID Beckham
*BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you? that I can have a voice
I almost forgot (well, I did forget until someone reminded me, but still!)… HAPPY CANADA DAY!!! To all my lovely Canadian readers :) Have fun!!!!!
@Beckey & Jeff – YES! Another reason renting is better than owning at times ;) No maintenance costs!!
@Crystal – FUN! Man, I am so jealous! :) And I totally get the whole “spending time with the significant other” part. Since going full-time myself it’s hard to spend more than a few hours together at the same time, and without me *thinking* about blog stuff. That’s the worst – when you DO hang out but she/he can tell your brain is still going, haha… you kids have fun out there!!! If you play Hold ’em, go ALL IN with pocket Queens for me – it’s good luck ;)
@John – Amen, brotha! I swear 50 years from now we’re gonna look back and wonder how we couldn’t give rights to everyone in this country… but I guess everything happens in due time. At least here you can practice whatever you want and not have to hide it like in other countries so that’s good! :) What kind of Monaro do you have? Had to google it (never heard of?) and there are old ones and new ones, yes?
@Kevin – Wow, gun collection? Interesting! You should snap a pic of it for me so I can see ;) Not a big gun man myself, but I find them fascinating… crazy how one little bullet can change so many lives too, can barely fathom it.
@Emily – Fun!! Enjoy Church Camp! Haven’t been to one myself in yearrrrrrrs…. love the whole “community” and just “pure” fun of it all. I need that to balance out the beer & other crazy stuff in my life, haha… take lots of pics! :)
@Jenny~Z – Yeah time & a half!!! I miss that! haha… work it girl :) And Happy Canada Day!!!
@Money Beagle – Awesome :) Soak it all in!
@LB – Have fun in the mountains :) Sounds like a beautiful retreat.
@Lynn – Hahahha… gotta love it! We all get to speak our mind :) (good work on taking her to thrift stores too, some kids have no idea there are options like that out there)
@LLF – Agreed. And good money management = options too! :)
@Trinnie – It’s almost baby time!!! Wooo!!!!! I’m excited!!! Uncle J is coming to meet you all soon! :)
@Kelsey – Hehe, glad you still like these! Almost skipped a week, but then figured why not… I like hearing what you all are up to :)
@Jenna, Adaptu Community Manager – Wowwwww… I wanna ride dirt bikes!! Bette take me whenever I get myself out there :)
@Kathy – YES! We owe soooooo much to our military and servicemen. They are our angels :)
@Melissa – Awww that sounds wonderful! I’m glad you’re having so much fun already, and can enjoy Canada Day in true form! I’m happy you were born there too, haha… :)
@MommaStar – Hahahhaha… I went as David Beckham at halloween once, it was awesome. Girls sure do love him! (Checked out one of his first appearances too here in the States – so crazy w/ this celebrity status! Though he didn’t play much at the time…oh well, I think it certainly rejuvinates MLS though – at least more than anyone else can.)
1. I’m going to enjoy the weather and the beach, and try to avoid the tourists. A BBQ with friends on the fourth, we can watch the fireworks from our house.
2. Cost is free except for whatever good food/drink we may want.
3. Off on Monday yes!
4. Yes I get paid.
5. Looking forward to relaxing and getting my toes in the sand. Also looking forward to starting the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy, and hopefully getting in a game of Settlers of Catan (and winning).
*BONUS* Freedom to be myself, having opportunities to live/experience/learn/earn…
What are you plans for the weekend? Driving to my hometown to camp, barbeque, go horseback riding, fish, see friends and family, lay by the pool, go to the lake, and of course, see FIREWORKS!
How much do you think it’ll cost? Not much! $50 in gas and a few dollars for a potluck dish. Saturday is “Free Fishing Day,” so I don’t have to pay for a license. My friends and family will feed me while I’m there!
Do you have to go to work on Monday? Nope. Monday is a work holiday, and I took Tuesday off.
If not, do you get paid for it? Sure do!
What part are you looking forward to the most? Being home and doing the things I love to do.
*BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you?
Freedom means that I have a choice every day about how I am going to live my life, who I am going to be, what I am going to do. Those choices mean that I have opportunities that others not lucky enough to be born in the USA don’t have. I have a deep appreciation for the men and women who have sacrificed, are sacrificing, and will sacrifice, so that I may have freedom. Thank you, US Military!
1. Weekend Plans- I’m still not sure about this, my honey works and my puppy is gonna freak out when she hears lots of fireworks. Maybe a BBQ, not sure. It’s hard to do much for the holidays when you live in a tiny @ss apartment.
2. Cost?- We don’t spend money on fireworks, because it makes more sense for us to just enjoy what everbody else bought. So, just a box of sparklers for the kiddo and some stuff for BBQ.
3. Work on Monday- Not really, I don’t have a job—but Honey works :-(
4. Paid on Monday- he gets time overtime for being there
5. Looking forward- Not a clue but I’m sure we’ll have fun w/ whatever we end up doing.
Bonus: Freedom- Having the ability to pretty much do whatever I want in life.
1) I have to work tomorrow (sat 7/2) since I work at a bank, but after we close, we will be packing up the convertible and taking the 2 hour drive to Bemus Point, NY, where my fiance’s family has a home right on Lake Chautauqua. Or, Lake Lachalkwa as my 5 year old calls it!
2) Just the gas to get up there and back, and some groceries. There will be other families and we will all pitch in for cookout food for dinner, lunch meat and eggs/bacon. Pretty inexpensive since we don’t pay anything to stay at the family home!
3) I don’t work Monday, and in fact, I took ALL of next week off work (I get 5 weeks paid vacation every year!) But, we will only be at the Lake thru Monday.
4)Yes, I get paid. Gotta love banker’s holidays!
5) I am looking forward to how SLOW life is at the Lake. We just chill, leisurely drink our coffee in the morning, sit on the deck looking at the water, go for boat rides, water ski, go tubing. I am bringing myself a bottle of Jeremiah Weed since it is my new favorite summer cocktail, so I will be mixing up John Daly’s all weekend and enjoying the weather, water, and company! I also love to hang out with my fiance, his awesome family, and my son, Braeden. I just hope he can stay awake for fireworks this year! I got him on the jetskis last year (at 4 years old) and it was awesome!
6) Freedom is being able to live and let live. I am pretty liberal and don’t judge people by their lifestyle, and to me, that is freedom. As long as you aren’t hurting anyone or putting anyone in danger, you should be able to live in a way that makes you happy.
Selling my old house would be financial freedom to me! I need to get back to no credit card debt and only one mortgage!
1) Going out to dinner and see Transformers 3 with the wife on Saturday. Rest of weekend will be pretty much devoted to job searching.
2) About $30-$40 for dinner, $16 for two 3D matinees, and $12 for popcorn and soda. I guess the internet costs us about $.50 per day, so a dollar or so for job searching.
3) Unfortunately no. I just got laid off.
4) Well the movie is certainly going to be more interesting than job searching.
BONUS: To me, freedom means being able to make mistakes and learn from them.
1) BBQ and listen to Blues Festival! Maybe go for a scenic drive and small hike
2) 30 bucks for BBQ? Free Blues Festival, we can listen from our condo. gas – $20?
3) I got Monday and Tuesday off!!!
4) YES!!! love it
5) Blues Festival fireworks. It’ll be a lot of fun
6) Free speech, right to do what ever I want, drive anywhere with no restriction, eat pork ribs, freedom is the best
1. What are you plans for the weekend? I had movie plans tonight but canceled because I am not feeling well. Saturday I am meeting my running club (just joined them), then going to the gym, then going to work. Oh then a “date”, then playing things by ear for Sun and Mon
2. How much do you think it’ll cost? So far everything is free :)
3. Do you have to go to work on Monday? Nope
4.If not, do you get paid for it,? Nope, I only get paid when I work
5. What part are you looking forward to the most? The running club, looking for some tips.
6.*BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you? Having the opportunity to be provided and education and learn whatever it is you what to learn as well as the ability to do whatever job you would like to do.
Enjoy your holiday weekend!
@ J. Money – I have a 2004. Technically in the US it’s a Pontiac GTO, but it has a full holden Monaro conversion short of Right hand drive.
1.What are you plans for the weekend? Not really sure. Trying to get back into our house because we had to evacuate from the big fire near Los Alamos New Mexico.
2.How much do you think it’ll cost? Right now it is costing about $180 per day for the hotel and food. The folks at the Hilton in Albuquerque were really nice because they let our dog stay with us. Cannot say that about some of the hotel guests who complained about the dog barking when we went out for a few hours.
3.Do you have to go to work on Monday? No, the 4th is a holiday for us. Don’t really know when I’ll return to work given the fire.
4.If not, do you get paid for it,? Yes
5.What part are you looking forward to the most? SSpending time with my family and those who mean alot to me…
6.*BONUS* What does “freedom” mean to you? Freedom means having the opportunity to be whatever I want to be, do whatever I want to do, and live whereever and however I want.
@KSUE – I want to play!!!! Only tried once w/ a bunch of personal finance bloggers, but that was over a year ago! And I came *this close* to winning! ;) Forgot about that game…
@Amy Lou – Some people here like to beleive it’s “Free Fishing Day” every day ;) I live near a lake and I doubt most of those fisherman have passes. I should whip out my pole again though, it’s been a while. And it’s fun!
@Jen @ Master the Art of Saving – You don’t have a job? I don’t think I knew that… I know you’re hustlin’ to make your blog a source of income ;)
@Nicole – COOOOOL!!!! That week vacay sounds just fantastic – good for you. You’re lucky I don’t live near by or else I’d be crashing it! :)
@Edward Antrobus – What??? You lost your job? I’m sorry to hear that man :( Wow. Was it recent? I feel like I would have known if not… I’m sending you positive thoughts and luck okay? Maybe you can find something that relates to your passion for food & cooking? Or publishing? :)
@retirebyforty – That does sound fun! I love me some live blues music – caught some myself yesterday on our boat ride. Mixed in w/ a little Johnny Cash action ;)
@bleu – That Running Club sounds fun, didn’t know they had those :) I’d join a walking club if I could get my hands on one of those…. though me thinks they’d be full of people 3 times my age, haha… not that theres’ anything wrong with that.
@John – Ahhhh gotcha gotcha… sounds fast :)
@Steve – Oh man, I’m sorry to hear that. That can’t be good :( I hope all is fine when you return back – that’s scary! My Aunt and I was just talking about Albuquerque, and how she wishes she could move back (we weren’t aware of the fire stuff). Unfortunately though she can’t be at that altitude due to medical problems :( She loved the 20+ years she DID live there though! And me too when I came to visit :)
Yep, no job for me. :-( It’s a long story but I’m kinda unemployable (not in a crazy way or nuthin’). Everybody I know thinks it’s weird that I’m 29 and don’t work. So I am hoping to one day make some dough from all this “free time” I have. I feel bad sometimes when I know my honey is working his a$$ off and I don’t have money coming in. He’s a great guy and doesn’t complain about it—still think I need to contribute more.
Awwww, well I’m sorry to hear that. I think you have a LOT of potential with your site so keep hustling and working on it! :) You know I’m a huge fan.