Today, Prosper & Budgets Are Sexy team up and celebrate the season of Lent! (Didn’t see that coming, did ya?). If you’ve ever heard of “peer-to-peer lending” before, you’re probably already aware of Prosper.com – one of the biggies in the industry. The site’s based on the premise that consumers should be able to help each other financially by borrowing & lending from one another, instead of through banks. Some people lend money out, and some pick money up! Pretty cool concept really, except for that fact I can’t participate cuz I live in Maryland! Boooo…
So yeah, back to Lent. As a Catholic, I give something up every year for 40 days until Easter hits. Sometimes I give up Soda, sometimes complaining (and I charge myself a dollar per complaint!), and most recently SHOPPING! You could probably guess which is more financially rewarding ;) I reckon I’ve saved at *least* $300 a month since I first gave this up 2 years ago, and it’s been awesome ever since (I still shop btw, just not every single weekend like I used to! I’m much better with my habits now).
But enough about Prosper and I, we want to hear from you! How do YOU currently saving money? Share with us and be entered to win a $200 check!!! Here’s what to do:
- Drop a comment letting us know what you’re currently doing to save money, AND how much you’ll have saved up by Easter! (even if you don’t celebrate Lent)
- Then, leave me a way to contact you (email, twitter, blog, etc)
That’s it! We’ll leave this up for a week, and one lucky bastard will be rewarded with $200. It doesn’t get much better than that my frugal friends. Be extra nice to Random.org this week, okay? ;) Mad thanks again to Prosper for hookin’ us up! NOW START COMMENTING.
PS: And if you want *another* chance to win, be sure to sign up to my V.I.P. Newsletter! We’ll be giving out a separate $100 check on top of this one come Friday!
PPS: How cool is it that people give us money to give away?
*UPDATE* Make SURE to leave your contact info! You can go anonymous all you’d like, but if I can’t tell you that you’ve won you’re going to be mad at me ;)
*UPDATE 2* Blogger is only showing 200-something comments, but I AM getting them all! So don’t worry if it doesn’t show up here, you’re still on the list :) Picking winner tonight (Thursday, 3-11)
*GIVEAWAY OVER* Congrats to Meg from CarsxGirl.com! You win the $200 :) Thanks to everyone for sharing your tips to save! Stay tuned for more giveaways to come.
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!