(*Ahem* with my wife, not a mistress ;))
For the past 3 months, I’ve slowly transformed from a Mr. Workaholic to a Mr. Casanova – and all because I’ve been paying attention. Not at our relationship, or how my work (or her studying habits for that matter) have gotten in the way of a little romancing or anything, but because I finally caved in and forced myself to acknowledge sites like Groupon and Goldstar more ;)
Every month this year, I have taken the Mrs. out on a surprise date where all she knew was the timing of the event, and how to appropriately dress (though if you ask her she’ll say “casual” isn’t good enough ;)). And while she’s not real big on surprises, I think she’ll tell you she’s had a BLAST with everything so far. Because unlike when I thought these deal sites were just trying to steal my money and hand over one red velvet cupcake after another, I had no idea they also offered up life experiences as well. To events I didn’t even know I really wanted! Haha… (but in a good way).
Here are the 3 dates we’ve adventured on so far:
- Date #1: An actual “freak” show :) Like, where they literally swallow swords and blow fire out of their mouths and similar circus stuff like that. And even though it was a big kid-friendly, the jokes that were thrown around were certainly for the adults too, haha… making it even better. It was like a half comedy show, mixed with half carnival antics. It was refreshing.
- Date #2: A more normal magic show. (See, all things I didn’t even know I was yearning for!). This one I wasn’t too sure about going in, but after 15-20 mins gazing over into the Mrs.’ direction and seeing her transfixed on all the trickery, I knew it would grant me the “nicely played” card at the end of the night. And what I loved about this one in particular was that it only made us feel even YOUNGER again (because it was another family-oriented event), and reminded us to keep trying out NEW THINGS. Which is something we both very much enjoy in life…
- And then we have Date #3. Jack Hannah’s “Into The Wild” Animal Show! As in, THE Jack Hannah – king of all stuff, animals (not to be confused with STUFFED animals). This was the very first date I lined up, even though it was the most recent one we actually attended, but I knew hands down it was a winner. I mean, chicks and animals?? How can you go wrong? :) Though we did have a few close calls when the snakes were brought out, haha… but luckily there were plenty of monkeys and other cute animals (like penguins!!) that quickly saved the day and continued the “awwww…” moments… and I must admit it was pretty awesome seeing a cheetah in real life too!
So why should you care about all this? Well, maybe you shouldn’t if you’re not into the “dating” scene, or you hate having fun. But if you’re the distinct opposite of that – and I think most of you are – then consider this *one more* thing in your romantic arsenal to help woo that lucky lady/man in your life And at a discounted price at that! (Especially with Goldstar – they specialize in getting people to go out more, I think they’re my new fave.)
- The freak show ran me $10.50 a pop (down from $15)
- The magic show ran $16.50 a pop (down from $25)
- And the animal show cost me $18.50 a pop, down from $30ish. And worth every last penny. (*Extra tip: If you plan these things for the day, or evening time, try and get there an extra hour early, or stay an extra hour after, and walk around the town a bit just hanging out and maybe grabbing a beer/wine. What I’ve realized is that it can take FOREVER sometimes to even GET out on that date to begin with, so rather than just wrapping up and coming right back home afterwards, do your best to extend it as much as you can and soak it all in…. if you were anything like the old me, you’d have to wait like another year to do it again. D’oh.)
So while I still think you end up spending more money than you intend with these types of sites over time, I must admit there’s definitely some power in doing it RIGHT. Especially when it involves being nice to your significant other and/or spicing up your lives ;) Cuz in cases like these you not only get the rush of a new adventure out on town, but you ALSO get a similar rush back at home in the bedroom if you know what I’m saying! (Ow ow!) And if there’s one thing you can’t put a price tag on, it’s that incredible feeling of
sex love… I don’t think there’s a Groupon out for that yet ;)
Anyone else mastering the art of romance through deal sites?
PS: Our next date will be a bit more reserved, and simply involve dinner and a movie. Where I’ll redeem our $24 worth of tickets that I got for a mere $5, courtesy of Groupon ;)
(Photo by Sn00ze92. Clever placements by J$)
Killer resources and apps:
- Best Budget Templates & Spreadsheets (FREE)— The best free budget templates from around the community! Including the ones I use :)
- Personal Capital* (FREE) — A great app to track your investments and net worth. You can see an in-depth review we did here from a millionaire who checks it daily 😂
- You Need a Budget (YNAB)* (FREE TRIAL, then $14.99/mo or $98.99/year) — One of the BEST budgeting methods in the space, with new users saving $600 on avg their first two months, and more than $6,000 over their first year! Check out my friend Vic’s review of YNAB here that went on to completely change his finances 💪
- Digit (FREE 6 mo. Trial, then $5/mo) — This is one of my favorite apps for automatically saving money, and I even came on board as an advisor I believed in them so much! You can see my full review on Digit here.
- Acorns* ($3-$5/mo) – Similar to Digit, this app helps you automatically INVEST money by rounding up all your transactions to the nearest dollar and then investing it right away for you. My full review of Acorns can be found here.
- Honey (FREE) — By far my favorite coupon service out there! Click the Honey button any time you're about to buy something online, and BOOM - any discounts it finds will be automatically applied at checkout. You can see my write up on them here.
- Credit Karma* (FREE) — An easy way to check and monitor your credit score AND report! See my full review of these guys here.
- My Favorite Blogs + Books < -- Click here to see all my other recommendations!